how do i cange the path to the php.ini file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i cange the path to the php.ini file

im having problems as im on a shared server ... i have edited my php.ini file to reflect the changes i want however when i go into the admincp it tells me the path to my php.ini file is /usr/local/Zend/etc/php.ini
    while that is the path to the serevrs php.ini that is not the path to my php.ini
    my php.ini file is located at /home/mysite/public_html/php.ini
    i need vb to recognise this.. how and where do i make it do so?

You can't do this. The php.ini file is a server file. PHP will only recognize the one server file.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

but my host has given me my own php.ini file as i said im on a shared server not a dedicated one and they wont change the file for the entire server

Comment

Then you will need to ask your host how and where to use this file. This is not within vB's control. This is a PHP issue.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

lol... thanks for the help... i spoke to my host this afternoon and they said its vbullettin that i need to configure lol.. so i guess i ll talk to them again tommorow

Comment

If it was reading from your php.ini it would have a localvalue in phpinfo. If it does not show the path to your php.ini then it is not working, and nothing vBulletin can do can change this

Comment

I'm having a similar issue. When I run php info from the admincp it says that the configuration path is C:\WINNT, but my php.ini file is actually located in C:\php4. There is no php.ini file in the C:\WINNT folder.

So, if I understand you correctly there is no way to change the path to point to a different location?

The reason I need to change the path is so that vB can recognize the "sendmail_from" directive.

Anyone have a suggestion for this? BTW, we are hosting our own box, so that is not an issue.

Running:
              php4
              mysql 4
              vB 3.0.8
              Last edited by jcfuller; Thu 1st Sep '05, 8:56am.

Comment

I ran into this issuer before and I couldn't fix this. The only thing that can solve this problem is to drop one copy of you php.ini into c:\winnt.
                Family means No One Gets Left Behind
                or.. Forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by stitch
                  I ran into this issuer before and I couldn't fix this. The only thing that can solve this problem is to drop one copy of you php.ini into c:\winnt.
                  This won't cause any conflicts? When the php.ini needs updating, I suspect that you would have to update it and copy it to the C:\WINNT directory? Is everything working for you know?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by jcfuller
                    This won't cause any conflicts? When the php.ini needs updating, I suspect that you would have to update it and copy it to the C:\WINNT directory? Is everything working for you know?

Thanks for the help.
                    Once you put a copy under your C:\winnt, rename the file under c:\php4 to other name as a backup file. Any additional modification should be done to the one under c:\winnt.

I host my own box too and I only modify the one under C:\windows. I used to be able to direct the path to c:\php as the instruction of adding c:\php into the path under environmental settings. With a bunch of security updates coming from Microsoft, PHP on my server no longer read the in c:\php. As a result, I have to put it under c:\windows, where my system is
                    or.. Forgotten

Comment

What about other applications utilizing the php.ini. I suspect that I will have problems with them if I copy the file over and rename the original as a backup.

Wonder if there would be an issue having both php.ini files in the seperate folders?

Comment

Originally posted by jcfuller
                        What about other applications utilizing the php.ini. I suspect that I will have problems with them if I copy the file over and rename the original as a backup.

Wonder if there would be an issue having both php.ini files in the seperate folders?
                        php.ini is a webserver file. It will be loaded once your webserver is fired up. After the initialization, php.ini is not accessed any more. All other applications - if any - pertained to web service will read the loaded variable.

By default, webserver will read the one under system folder first. If it couldn't find the needed one it will assume an generic php.ini. I think this is pre-packed in the php engine. I test this on a Virgin server without any php.ini under system folder, and I still see that php.ini point to c:\windows\php.ini.

I don't think you will run into any issue. The reason you should rename the one on c:\php4 is to avoid confusion. Other than that the one on c:\php4 will serve as a back up one
                        or.. Forgotten

Comment

Working...
                        X