Forum access/permissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum access/permissions

Hi everyone, I'm having trouble with permissions and, after trying for hours to redo everything, I need help. I hope I can explain this clearly.

I'm setting up specific forums on my boards that only specific users can view or view & post in. In order to give these groups of users access to either view or view & post in these forums, I set up separate user groups for them. Now, so far I think I'm okay.

So that they'll have the same permissions as everyone else for all the forums, but separate access to these specialized forums, I went into the user manager and checkmarked the "additional usergroup" box to mark each specialized user as having a secondary usergroup (isn't additional usergroup and secondary usergroup the same thing? If not, I'm betting that's where my problem is coming in).

Then I went into Forum Permissions and gave these secondary groups permission to view or view & post in the specialized forums while blocking my regular users from accessing them. I thought these permissions would extend and override the permissions given to them from their primary usergroup (Registered Users, for example). But it doesn't seem to be working. They can see the forums and threads, but when they try to read the threads or post, they get the "you don't have access" message.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I admit defeat and appreciate your help!

Dianna

Make sure this is set to 'Yes' for the primary usergroup: Allow Users to have Member Groups
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Steve, I doublechecked and it's set to yes. I know there's something simple I'm missing here. Maybe it's not working because I set up Custom Usergroups for the children and youth in my forum, and I'm using the custom usergroups as their primary group, and not the default "registered user" as their primary usergroup. Could that be the problem?

Thank you so much for your help.

Dianna

Comment

If you have not installed any hacks, then setting up the appropriate Forum Permissions should work. I would double-check these permissions for each forum and usergroup.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I haven't installed any hacks, and just updated the two patch files instead up upgrading to 3.0.8. I've double-checked my permissions, but will now triple-check them since it was in the wee hours of the morning before. If I still can't find any problems with the permissions, could it have anything to do with the patch files I uploaded?

Dianna

Comment

If you have not installed any hacks (which includes portals), fill out a support ticket at:

http://members.vbulletin.com/members...ontactform.php

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Steve, I think I do need to submit a support ticket. Permissions that were set before in forums that haven't been changed are now not operating correctly. Some of the children can now only see "sticky" threads but not regular threads in a forum that they're supposed to have complete access to. Is there a permissions that allows users to only see sticky threads and not regular threads? If not, then I think it's not me, but something that may have gotten corrupted when I uploaded the patch files. Is that possible?

Dianna

Comment

Have them check 'From The' setting for these forums and make sure it's set to 'From the beginning'.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Steve, you were right about the "From the Beginning". It's been a while since they've posted in the forum I checked and it was only showing from the last month (or so). I feel a little more encouraged now, and I apologize for wasting your time with that one. I'm glad you said something before I submitted it on my support ticket.

Warmly,
                  Dianna

Comment

I just wanted to thank Steve for his help resolving my problems. It was a problem on my end, not vBulletin's. Thanks so much, Steve!

Dianna

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X