Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unable to assign permissions to moderators

Hi there,

I'm not sure if I will get any help with this as I have some "hacks" installed but I'm not sure this issue relates to any hacks.

Anyway, I'll ask and see what happens.

I created a "Staff Only" area on my forum. I took away all viewing/posting rights to that area, then added them in for admins, super mods, mods, and a few other categories that (as far as my forum is concerned) are staff.

All is well except moderators (normal ones not super ones) can't do anything.

They can see it but can't post to it. When they do I get a message saying there are messages that need approval.

So I went in and looked at the permissions for moderators and it all looks fine but they can't post to it. I changed the permission to give moderators full rights to that forum area, clicked the save button and suddenly the section that lists all the permissions in grey, red, or yellow, had the moderators as red.

Going back and looking, they definately have the view forum, post to forum etc option selected as "yes", but it still shows up in red, meaning they have no access.

One of my custom groups "developers" has full access, but not the in-built standard moderators. Likewise the inbuilt super moderators and admin etc all have correct access.

Any idea on why this would be?

I'm running the patched 3.0.6 version.

Thank you.

Check ALL the usergroup permissions for that forum. One of the usergroups they are in IS set to moderate posts.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

But I'm not talking about a specific user I'm talking about the entire moderator user group.

The whole moderator user group is in red and wont change.

I can do screen shots if you like?

Comment

Check any one of these Mods and see which other usergroups they are in.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Permissions are transferred depending what group they are in?

So a moderator can't be in more than one group at a time otherwise they inherrit the permission of hte other group into the moderator usergroup, essentially killing the permissions for that whole group? Sucks to be a moderator then, if you can't be in any other usergroup other than moderator otherwise you kill the permissions for the entire usergroup

Why would a user in an oridnary group kill the permission for a primary group like that?

If that's the case, I am in the administrator usergroup and a normal usergroup. The admin UG has permissions to everything, so why doesn't my ordinary group over write those permissions?

Sorry if this is well known, it's just not clear to me

Comment

Sorry to double post. I took the moderators out of every other group they were in leaving them only in the moderator group.

Same thing though, permissions for the "staff area" wont change from red (deny) even though I have specified they can have access to it.

Comment

Okay triple post
              I reset the permissions for the whole "staff" area then redid it and it worked.

No idea what went wrong but it seems to be working now.

Thank you

Comment

okay this has returned

i thought it went away but it hasn't. when a moderator posts to the staff area their post goes to the moderation queue rather than simply being posted.

any thoughts?

Comment

Are these moderators in more that one usergroup?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Yes, but then so am I and I'm not having that problem. Likewise the super moderator is in more than one user group and she doesn't have this problem either.

Comment

Check ALL the usergroup permissions for that forum. One of the usergroups they are in IS set to moderate posts.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Okay I've done that. A few of the additional usergroups were set to moderate posts.

I've changed them over, now for one of them to come online and post something to see the end result. I'll let you know when that happens

Comment

All fixed. I guess you have to be really careful with permissions.

I would have assumed mod and above would have over ridden all others but apparently not.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                          X