Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large Search Index, Is that Problem to Upgrade to 3.0.8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Search Index, Is that Problem to Upgrade to 3.0.8?

Hello!
    I am about to (finally!) upgrade to 3.0.8 from v. 2.3.7..I have a database of about 390MB, 1,500 members, 17 threads and 190,000 posts, with a search index table of 135 MB ( or over 5,128,000 records)...this table in particular has caused problems when I was moving servers a short while ago, the old and new server kept timing off with that table specifically because too big..anyways, I emptied that search index table and rebuilt it later on after I moved..

I read here that some steps in the upgrade may take a while..like posts and attachments....but what about the search index table? Would that be a problem if I were to upgrade without emptying it?

Please advice..

Thanks.

Because of changes in the code and database structure, you will need to rebuild the search index after upgrading from vB2 to vB3.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

But if you immediately upgrade to 3.5.0 after 3.0.8, you won't have to rebuild the search index, you can switch to using Full Text searches.
      vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        Because of changes in the code and database structure, you will need to rebuild the search index after upgrading from vB2 to vB3.
        So does that mean that I can simply empty my search index table before I do the upgrade to 3.0.8? Because in any case I will have to rebuild the search index after the upgrade?

Thanks!

Comment

It would do no good to rebuild it before you upgrade.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            It would do no good to rebuild it before you upgrade.
            No I wanted to rebuild it after the upgrade.. So my big question is: should I empty the search index table before the upgrade because in any case I will have to reindex after the upgrade? correct? or there is no difference for my upgrade (meaning the upgrade is not going to be faster just because I emptied the search index table before it)?

Comment

It doesn't matter if you empty it or not. Do whichever one makes you happiest.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Working...
              X