IE freaking out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE freaking out

Hi everyone! I've been playing with my friends VB for years. And I finally got my own. But I got one heck of an error that came after I moved some stuff around. And I can't seem to track it down. I don't know if this is the right place to ask, And I normally would just handle the problem on my own, but this is really bad making IE unusable.

My website is here:
    http://battlestargalactica-forum.com/forums

The error I get only happens in IE. It happens to several people who use IE. All patches and fixes from MS has been applied. We all have either Win 2000 or WinXP. I can get the problem to usually appear if I open up alot of windows of my forum (like when I check what's new each day). Like around 12 or more windows. But it can also occur with just one or two windows open. And it only happens with this website. But it works perfect in Firefox.

The errors I get are sometimes table cell backfrounds go black. Sometimes the background image goes black. Icons disappear or blink off and on. And in the worse cases text will echo as you scroll up and down leaving a trail of trash pixels.

I tried to screencap it, but I get an error. A dialog box pops up saying their is insufficient memory to make the bitmap (even though I have ALOT of memory left over and nothing but IE open)

But my friend was able to get this screencap of her system
    http://battlestargalactica-forum.com...s/problem1.jpg and
    http://battlestargalactica-forum.com...s/problem4.jpg

Please help, I've really been going crazy with this error.

does it happen with vB default style ?
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

This doesn't happen for me, with FireFox or Internet Explorer.
      Best Regards
      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Its not a consistent bug unfortunately. Though I can make it work on my system if I quickly open alot of pages (over ten).

And no, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the default VB style. Right now I took out just about all of the changes I made except for the header and footer and CSS.

I was just hoping(praying) someone with a better knowledge of IE might have seen something like this before.

I've never seen a browser freakout like this before.

Comment

probably your custom style coding issues then
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

I probably did something .... but I was hoping with all your expertise you might know what can cause that bad of an error? Basically all i did was move some parts of the navbar around, and moved some parts of the footer, and added another containing table starting in the header, ending in the footer.

Outside of that there are only css additions like background placement, no repeat, and padding and border adjustments.

It seems like IE is having a terrible conflict with the code. Instead of IE ignoring whatever is causing the problem, or just drawing a funky page, IE seems to be having what looks like memory shortage errors in drawing the page. But how can that happen if its the only application running?
            Last edited by thomas7g; Tue 26 Jul '05, 3:51am.

Comment

maybe create new child style copy from the default style and do tiny changes one at a time, test a few days until you find the problem

Comment

Thanks George. I appreciate your help. I have been doing the slow elimination method, but it looks like I'll have to keep trying until I find it.

The error feels like I hit some sort of limit of IE. Like how many nested tables with CSS style instructions that the program allows for so many open web browsers at once or something odd like that.

Anyways I'll keep trying. Thank you.

Comment

for html/CSS stuff might try asking folks over at www.sitepointforums.com

Comment

Thanks George! I'll check out that forum for later reference. I always could use more good links!

I had been taking your advice about doing tiny changes. I had been doing trial and error changes on the templates for a week pulling my hair out. But I finally decided to try CSS changes. Didn't think it would help, but sonofagun! That was it!

In the stylesheet's body tag I had replaced the default cursor with another cursor. It worked fine under most 99% 0f conditions. But sometimes IE would go bonkers if you opened too many large forum pages with lots of graphics that took time to download fully. If you had a bunch of pages downloading at once, the css portions wouldn't render properly creating alot of graphical errors.

Don't know why. Could be a Microsoft/CSS thing. Though large aomunts of graphics and the complexitiy of forum pages probably don't help it.

Comment

ah ha! so you found the culprit

Comment

YUP! Killed that bug good!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X