Unable to save edited templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to save edited templates

I wanted to see what vB 3.5 beta 4 was going to look like so I installed a clean copy of vb 3.0.7 in a private directory before going to beta 4. I edited the config file to look at the new database but negelected to save it. Then I reverted all my templates. Mistakingly I reverted all of my templates in my live forum. Not that big of a deal but I lost some minor mods.

So . . .
    I loaded my lastest backup ( a coupel days old and missing some posts) to the hidden forum so I could copy and paste the edited templates. They do not save but it does go through the process. I can edit child styles though.

Any clues?
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

If you have a 3.0.7 database restored on a 3.5.0 installation, that won't work.

You shouldn't even restore a database on top of an existing installation.

Make a new database, restore the backup to it and log in as admin, then you can access all those styles & templates.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
      If you have a 3.0.7 database restored on a 3.5.0 installation, that won't work.

You shouldn't even restore a database on top of an existing installation.

Make a new database, restore the backup to it and log in as admin, then you can access all those styles & templates.
      No, No. I wanted to duplicate my 3.0.7 version in a private forum before moving to vB 3.5 b4. The problem I have is that I have one backup that is a couple days old with my edited templates. I have another backup with my current posts with the reverted templates.

As it stands now I have two installs of vB 3.0.7.
      Perhaps I can import and replace my threads into the forum that the templates are correct? I wouldn't know which tables to import though.
      ...steven

Comment

Just make a backup of your vB database and restore it too the test db.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          Just make a backup of your vB database and restore it too the test db.
          That's what I am doing right now alhough although I think it will write over my existing edited templates. But the odd thing is that my child style is able to be edited and saved.
          ...steven

Comment

If you do this correctly this will create an exact dupliicate of your existing vB.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Now I have the same problem in my test database as well as my live one.
              When I edit a template is says processing complete but doesn't save.
              I also notice that it doesn't give me the message that it is saving to the child styles either. I can edit the child styles though. This problem started when I reverted all my templates.
              ...steven

Comment

If this is a 3.0.7 forum, fill out a support ticket at:

http://members.vbulletin.com/members...ontactform.php

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP. Please also include a complete description of the problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I had to figure this one out for myself.
                  I restored my test database to when it worked a few days ago.
                  I compared which tables have changed and imported the latest set of tables to the test board one table at a time and tested. Once I imported the styles table I ran into the problem with my templates. I made a new back up of the latest database and copied the previous working styles tables over them and it appears to be working.

Is there anything else I should be concerned about.
                  Long story short, I am using the latest sql backup with a 2 day old backup of the style table.
                  ...steven

Comment

It sounds like there may have been bad code added to one of the templates that was causing this problem. I've seen it happen before.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      It sounds like there may have been bad code added to one of the templates that was causing this problem. I've seen it happen before.
                      Then I'm not so worried. I know exactly what I did and when I compared my template table I saw only a few changes and they were related to the same edits in the style table. I am going to restore this latest working database to my test forum and start where I left off. That is I want to revert all my templates and hopefully the same problem doesn't happen again. If it does I will be very worried about moving to 3.5. Case closed.

For now.
                      Thanks
                      ...steven

Comment

Working...
                      X