X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monet_06
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill-SWJ View Post
    [one must] enable the VIEW option on the entire category and then run through each usergroup and each of the other 4 forums to disable the VIEW option in each of these forums. Problem is, when you have many private forums and many usergroups (as on the live board, which has 15-20 forums and 20 usergroups), things start to get EXTREMELY cluttered and EXTREMELY complicated.

Here's what I'm getting at: If you disable VIEW for a category, and then go and enable typical posting options for a single forum under that category, why can't it just override the parent permission and show the category name and the single forum under the category, while maintaining the invisibility of the other 4 forums?

Still appears that child forum permissions don't over-ride the "no view" setting of the user group when applied to a parent forum. ...

Not practical to do it with that limitation. My work-around, allowing all privilieged user groups to have permissions at the parent forum level and then restrict them individually at the child forum level, is not the sleek solution I was hoping for. But working.
    Same set-up and same quandary/fears here. Add a bunch of access masks, which are even worse, I think. It's so easy to forget to go back and re-lock each of all those doors every time you add someone/some forum/some group.

I'm thinking about splitting up the child forums so at least the admin forum won't be exposed if there is ever a missed lock. e.g., I'd like to have a member-private group and an admin one.

I'm afraid of corrupting something in the move, though. Is it safe enough to just create another private category, then go to the [eg Admin] forum's control panel and change the parent? I'm scared to pull the trigger. lol

Leave a comment:

• Bill-SWJ
    replied
    Forum permissions inheritance still this way....

(Oops, didn't mean to send)

The "allow users to have member groups" was a key find here in the bowels of the community forums.

Still appears that child forum permissions don't over-ride the "no view" setting of the user group when applied to a parent forum. I am trying to work a setup similar to BruceWest. Not practical to do it with that limitation. My work-around, allowing all privilieged user groups to have permissions at the parent forum level and then restrict them individually at the child forum level, is not the sleek solution I was hoping for. But working.

Leave a comment:

• Bill-SWJ
    replied
    Forum permissions inheritance still this way....

I'm using 3.6.1, about to upgrade to 3.6.2. Still having similar issues...

Leave a comment:

• BruceWest
    replied
    I went ahead and confirmed this for you. All usergroups (primary and secondary) have 'Allow Users to have Member Groups' set to 'Yes' already.

On my board I try to be consistent in assigning the most "powerful" user group to which a user is a member as their primary group, and then assigning less powerful groups secondarily (although it is true that some of the secondary groups grant access to certain hidden forums).

Anyway, this didn't seem to be the source of the "problem."

Could it be possible this is simply the way it was coded? To me it just seems like a developer permission choice. If the parent forum is set to disallow VIEW, then the child forums are all invisible, even when a user group DOES have VIEW access to a child forum. Recall that I mentioned it was still possible for members of the user groups in question to access their respective forums via direct link.

Any more thoughts on this?

Thanks again for all your help,
    Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    I ran into a similar situation in a support ticket earlier today. I don't know if this will help but check the Primary Usergroups and make sure that 'Allow Users to have Member Groups' is set to 'Yes'. Otherwise the permissions in secondary groups will not be considered.

Leave a comment:

• BruceWest
    started a topic Permission Inheritance

Permission Inheritance

I'm having some slight problems. This may be the intended functionality, but if it is I'm just not liking it ('cause I'm crazy like that ).

I have a PRIVATE FORUMS category. Under this category I've cleaned up the permissions so that NO usergroup (except admins) has access to the category (and, via the child permission inheritance, no forums under that category).

Within the category there are 5 forums. Certain usergroups should have access to one of these forums (Example: Contributors should have access to the Contributors forum, but not any other forums within the PRIVATE FORUMS category....Moderators should have access to the Moderators forum, but not to any other forums within the Private Forums category).

Unfortunately, under this configuration, even though a certain user has permissions set to VIEW and POST (etc) within a certain forum inside the PRIVATE FORUMS category, they are not seeing their forum - at all. They can, though, directly link to the forum if they wish. I understand that there is an option in the forum manager that allows you to hide a forum and only make it accessible with its web address, but this is NOT enabled on ANY forums.

The obvious way to get past this is to enable the VIEW option on the entire category and then run through each usergroup and each of the other 4 forums to disable the VIEW option in each of these forums. Problem is, when you have many private forums and many usergroups (as on the live board, which has 15-20 forums and 20 usergroups), things start to get EXTREMELY cluttered and EXTREMELY complicated.

Here's what I'm getting at: If you disable VIEW for a category, and then go and enable typical posting options for a single forum under that category, why can't it just override the parent permission and show the category name and the single forum under the category, while maintaining the invisibility of the other 4 forums?

Maybe this is a bit too specific, and maybe you guys have differing opinions on how the parent/child force system should work. In that case, might you direct me to the permissions file I need to modify to make this work to my advantage?

Thanks,
    Bruce
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X