X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• read-mark storage location

From another thread:

Originally posted by permutations
    Could someone tell me where read-marks are stored in vBulletin? When I looked at this product a couple of years ago, they weren't stored it on the server, which is what I wanted. That's why I went with YaBB-SE and then SMF. They were the only ones who do read-marks right. When the info is stored on the client side it's routinely lost.

I recall vBulletin stored the read-marks somewhere on the client side, but I can't remember where. Cookies maybe? Does anyone know? Maybe they've fixed this weakness and they're stored on the server now?
    Originally posted by Onimua
    If you're talking about the thread read-marking system, yes, they can be (optionally) stored in the database and does not use cookies to keep track of such information. However, you can chose to have it cookie-based instead. It's an option in the vBulletin Admin Control Panel. Should be noted that this is vBulletin 3.5.0 on.
    How are read marks stored in v3.0.7? Cookies on the user's computer? Is there any way to control this in v3.0.7?

I noticed that this forum is using the 3.5 beta. Does that means it's stable enough to use? When is it scheduled for release?

The read mark system in vB 3.0.x was based on the lastvisit time, which was stored in the database, as well as cookies for the time you were browsing the forum in a session.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Oh yes, that sounds familiar.

As I recall, vB 3.0 will correctly identify which threads I've read and which I have not read within a session, but once I log out, all threads posted before that time are marked as read (regardless of whether I actually read it).

Is this correct? I may be confusing vBulletin with phpBB. Could you explain more specifically how read-marks are handled within a session and after a session has ended (by logging out). Is the within-session tracking is just based on last-visit, then it won't even be correct within a session. Please clarify.

Thanks.

Comment

Yes, the read system in vB 3.0.x is session based. Once your session expires or you log out, all posts are considered read.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Please be more specific. Exactly how is it tracked during a session? If it's using "last visit" during a session, it won't work very well. I believe "last visit" is what is stored in the cookie, isn't it?

Could someone tell me specifically how this is managed in v3.0? I'm trying to decide whether this functionality is adequate or to upgrade to the 3.5 beta.

Comment

It uses the last activity date and time to determine when the last session ended.

This has changed dramatically in 3.5.0 which allows you to make the read/mark system based on the actual posts and whether or not you've read them in spite of the last activity info.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              It uses the last activity date and time to determine when the last session ended.
              ::sob:: This is not specific enough for me to clearly understand what 3.0.7 does and what it does not do. I need to know the mechanisms used:

In v3.0.7:

1. How are read-marks handled during a session (from a technical perspective - how is the information tracked).

2. How are read-marks handled after a session has closed (upon log-in) - from a technical perspective. How is the information tracked?

Cookies, session, variables tracked - please. Doesn't anyone know the specifics?

Comment

Sorry, I don't know hows to explain it any other way. In vB 3.0.7, all new posts remane as 'unread' until you either mark the forum or forums read, your session expires, or you logout. hat's the best I can do.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

As far as I know, read marks are handled using cookies in vB 3.0.7.

Once a new session is started, these cookies aren't valid anymore, so the lastvisit field from the database is used.
                  Best Regards
                  Colin Frei

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F
                    As far as I know, read marks are handled using cookies in vB 3.0.7.

Once a new session is started, these cookies aren't valid anymore, so the lastvisit field from the database is used.
                    Ah - this is what I wanted to know. Okay - so session cookies are used to mark which specific threads have been read, and these go away at the end of the session? Then a non-session cookie storing the last visit is used? That makes sense. The per-thread information gets too large too fast to be stored on the client side for more than a single session.

Does anyone know for sure that this is what happens?

Comment

That's the way it works in 3.0.7.
                      Best Regards
                      Colin Frei

Comment

Thanks very much for clarifying.

Comment

Working...
                        X