Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give members of a user group access to a forum

Hi there.

How do I give a usergroup access to a forum without affecting any other permissions? In my example:
    -registered users who can NOT post in forum 1
    -a group A whose members have access to forum 2

Now I have to explicitely disable posting for group A too or if I add a registered user to group A they can post in forum 1 (and view forum 2 of course).

I don't think this is really good because it really adds tooooooo many permission settings everywhere, very hard to remove them all when I want to change the group or something.

And by the way: the permission system really needs to be improved, it's terrible complicated and all different settings are in different places.

What I want is a list of defaults (which is "Registered User"). And then a system like
    Orban: All Forums: Mass Move: Yes
    Admins: All Forums: All Permissions
    All Users: 18+ Forum: No Access
    18+ Member Group: 18+ Forum: Access
    etc.

-orban
    Last edited by orban; Thu 7 Jul '05, 7:26am.

I couldn't quite follow what you posted, but keep in mind that when someone is in multiple usergroups a 'Yes' permission will always override a 'No' one. Hopefully that gives you what you are looking for.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Yes, that is the problem.

Okay. A registered user can not post in forum 1 and not view forum 2. I have set up a new group now. Members of this group can view forum 2 (this is the only permission I changed for this group). If I put a user in this group now (as an additional group to his registered user group) he can view forum 2 BUT post in forum 1 too. Why is this? Because, as you said, the yes from that new group overrides the no from the registered user group. I'd have to explicitely disable access to forum 2 for the new group too. But this is very bothering when I have like ten groups and add new forums.

-orban

Comment

Yes, you will need to modify all the appropriate Forum Permissions for that forum and each Usergroup.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Why is that lol. I don't get it. Why don't take the defaults for every option I don't explicitely change? What is the point in this?

Same thing is that when I want to give a user access to forum 3 in this layout I have to disable access to forum 4 and 5 (+he can view all posts in 1 and 2 anyway unless I disable that too). This is just weird?
          • forum 1
            • forum 2
              • forum 3
              • forum 4
            • forum 5

Comment

I can't answer the 'why'. I was trying to help you by explaining what you need to do to set the permissions correctly.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Yeah okay sorry. It just makes me click too much.

-orban

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X