ok thanks Zachery

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Not overly, showing an ALOT could cause a problem.. eg: 50+

Leave a comment:

• Razasharp
    replied
    (changed it to 35 as it was on 25 not 22!)

Also, whilst on the topic, does increasing the posts shown per page cause much load on the server? (at the moment its 15 per page)

Leave a comment:

• Razasharp
    replied
    ok thanks.

What I meant by 30 growing to 40 is that at some stage we'd be getting the same thing with 30 threads (ie more than 30 have new posts in since last visit) and would need to change it to 40. (I know theres page 2/3/4 etc but it's nice for people to see thier thread still on page 1.)

Ok Im gonna change it to 30 and see how it goes :-)

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    What do you mean 30 threads per page will grow to 40?

Realisticly, you don't need to worry about the ammount of threads per page, or anything like that too much... Its not going to cause that much of a load on the server

Leave a comment:

• Razasharp
    replied
    lol yes I am a bit of a worrier! But I'd like to make the right decision now before we get 'big'

I think that 30 threads per page will quickly grow to 40...

Maybe I should just try it and see what the server loads say?

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    I think you are thinking about things tooo much....

30 threads per page shouldn't be an issue.

Leave a comment:

• Razasharp
    started a topic Which causes least server load/preffered method

Which causes least server load/preffered method

Hi

Each forum is set to display 22 threads at present, however logging on these days around 4 - 5 forums shows all threads as un-read. So I was wondering which would be the most effecient:

Increasing the threads displayed to around 30 (and perhaps increasing this number the busier the forum gets?)

or

creating a new forum to and specify a subtopic (so that 1/3 or so of those threads will fall into that catergory)

Basically what causes least server load? Whats the best option? I think I would prefer to show more threads in the forums as I already have around 33 forums (including 3 sub forums), but don't mind either way really.

your thoughts appreciated!