X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump for eva.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      I'm not sure what you want me to do or say? It is my experience that this is defintely a server issue. There is nothing on the vB end of things that would cause intermittent connection failures like this, again assuming you have not installed any hacks. If it were a vB issue, then no connections would go through at all.

We are offering to help you the best we can with your server, but because you are on a shared server the options to do so are very limited. You can get mad at me if you want, but this doesn't change the basic facts. We are doing what we can to help, even though this is not a vB caused problem. What is your host doing to help resolve this?
      With the greatest of respect Steve i have to agree with CW. I am far from being an expert on PHP or MySQL, however what i do know is that i previously had a hosting account at godaddy that displayed the same error messages that CW is receiving and upon advice from your vbulletin team decided to change my hosting to another provider (midphase) and the problem still exists.

It is very easy to say that it is a problem with the server or that is is the user who is failing to properly configure the config file, however IMO this is not correct.

If you perform a search in google you will see "Thousands" of people experiencing the same "database" problem. I also know of many people in dnforum and namepros who are experiencing or have experienced the same problem. In fact even in this forum (even on the first page) you can see a lot of people experiencing db problems, does this not provide an indication to you that there is a problem on YOUR side?

There is not a problem with my config file (i have set up forums before and have tried every ludicrous alteration) and i have also verified (by changing hosting providers) that there is not a problem with the hosting. Therefore the problem lies with vbulletin IMO. Im also not very impressed with your less than friendly manner either, we are your customers and should be treated as such.
      Last edited by domaino; Sat 18th Jun '05, 7:39am.

Comment

I understand your frustration because I am sharing it. I get slammed because people assume I am purposely being rude or unhelpful when in fact I would love nothing better then to see this problem be resolved once and for all.

Assuming there are no hacks installed, the only things in vB that can cause a connection problem are the config.php settings. There is nothing else anywhere in vB that could cause intermittent connection failures. Either the code is set up to connect correctly or it isn't.

I do wish I could resolve this, but it is beyond my ability to do so.

One thing I did find out from my own forums is that other server processes can cause MySQL connection failures. For instance the only time I had this problem myself was when my server was getting slammed with thousands of spam emails. Suddenly I started getting these 'false, connect failed' errors as well. The server load had increased substantially and this caused the connection failures. Once I put some email blocks in place, the problem went away for good.

Maybe this info will help someone. The bottom line is that if vB is set up properly and you get intermittent connection problems, the issue is server-related. Believe me, it is in my best interests to see this fixed as well and I am doing everything I can to try and help.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by CWHeadley
          Bump for eva.
          sorry for delays i'm currently working through some personal pc hard drive failure/recovery issues hence may seem distracted

As to your problem being on a shared server presents numerous issues itself since the problem could be caused by any one or more sites sharing the server not necessarily your site.

The server top stats show cpu load is high but cpu idle time is high and iowait is at 0% so somethings up there

Sun Jun 19 05:21:27 CDT 2005

05:21:29 up 27 days, 7:42, 1 user, load average: 6.35, 7.52, 7.97
          59 processes: 58 sleeping, 1 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
          CPU0 states: 3.0% user 10.0% system 0.0% nice 0.0% iowait 85.1% idle
          CPU1 states: 4.0% user 2.0% system 0.0% nice 0.0% iowait 92.0% idle
          CPU2 states: 3.0% user 6.0% system 0.0% nice 0.0% iowait 89.0% idle
          CPU3 states: 15.0% user 3.0% system 0.0% nice 0.0% iowait 80.0% idle
          Mem: 4076088k av, 3937004k used, 139084k free, 0k shrd, 18076k buff
          25964k active, 2261036k inactive
          Swap: 2618552k av, 0k used, 2618552k free 2268648k cached

PID USER PRI NI SIZE RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM TIME CPU COMMAND
          20682 nobody 12 0 1152 1152 848 R 6.5 0.0 0:00 0 top

Http processes currently running = 58
          Mysql processes currently running = 2
          ask your web host how many sites share this server as well as the hard drive size, type and configuration on this server as well.

As to question #6, do you have ssh telnet access to your own site at least ? you can get your web host to provide question #6 output as well

I also need your web host to provide the mysqladmin extended-status output via ssh telnet as the link you provided didn't show all the relevant info.

I know PHP 4.3.10 is known to give higher cpu load with vB installs due to some bugs, so I'd upgrade to PHP 4.3.11 and MySQL 4.0.24

I can tell you now 110% sure the problem is with the server, server configuration and/or the fact it could be overloaded or overcrowded due to shared sites. Just go to server config forum and search and read those threads http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14 and you'll find similar cases such as yours especially shared server instances of this problem.

The info your web host can provide will help determine what to do next.

Last question, who's your web host ? can you point your web host to this thread as well maybe he can chime in and provide the info asked quicker ?
          Last edited by George L; Sun 19th Jun '05, 2:32am.
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Happened 13 times early this morning to my board as well..

Here's the error message:

(Probably spammer, so I will block this IP again - I had removed the block about 10 days ago )

Database error in vBulletin :

Link-ID == false, connect failed
            mysql error:

mysql error number: 0
            Most likely this will solve the problem, as Steve pointed out earlier.

Comment

Please, please help.

I'm getting the exact same error - tons of them too.

I took the advice and changed host, and the same problem persists.

My last host moved me to a dedicated server for the last few days, but i still got the database error emails - although a lot more rare.

My vB licence is due for renewal shortly. I want to renew because it is a grea tpiece of software, but will have to reconsider if this issue persists.

Comment

John F, since you have a dedicated server I assume this means you have root access as well. Please see this thread:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=70117

Then post the requested info in a new thread in that forum.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I'm not on a dedicated server. The last host moved me to one until i found a new host, which i have, and the database errors are dire again.

Comment

Sorry you said "My last host moved me to a dedicated server for the last few days" so I assumed you meant what you posted.

1. Do you have persistent connections off in config.php?

2. What is the server's MySQL settings for max_connections and max_user_connections?

3. How many other sites are on this server?

4. What is the server load at the time you get these errors?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Sorry you said "My last host moved me to a dedicated server for the last few days" so I assumed you meant what you posted.
                      Excellent support. I like it! That's the way to keep the licence sign-ups rolling in for sure.

Before the sentence you quoted i wrote that i had changed host and that "my LAST host" had moved me but i still "GOT" database errors...

Thanks though for the second part of your reply, which i will run by the new host.

Comment

Sorry if I offended you but that was not my intention. 'Last host' could mean your currrent host instead of your 'previous' host, and the 'last few days' does seem to indicate this is a current situation.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

That's okay Steve.

Your suggestion *appears* to have worked (my fingers are so tightly crossed). I say 'appears' because on the last host the problem could disappear for hours, then reappear for hours.

The changes were made just after your post (persistent mysql connections turned off and max users increased). Instantly there was an improvement, and no more emails with database errors have been received. Acc to the host most of my connections were 'sleeping, not actually doing anything'.

This begs the question. What sort of amateurs were my previous hosts, who blamed the forum itself on all the issues - despite my insistance that i made absolutely no changes myself. They eventually admitted to lowering the allowed number of mysql connections, but told me they had increased it back up again.

So, i hope this alerts others to possible solutions, and if the problem returns i'll post again.

Thanks Steve.

Comment

You're wlecome. I really need to start listing all the possible server-side causses of this problem that I know about.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

You're wlecome. I really need to start listing all the possible server-side causses of this problem that I know about.
                              This problem has returned - a number of times. The hosts have done quite a few things - incl all the suggestions in this thread and the sticky, and it has now got to the point that they are being extremely rude to me.

They are blaming the vBulletin forum for overloading their server. Is this possible? It has happened with two different hosts now but i have no more than a few users at a time (30-40 at peak) and now email notifications have stopped (i'm told i'm allowed a certain amount of emails an hour yet this problem has only revealed itself in the past few days, and - again - there'd be no more than 10 or so posts in an hour at peak).

Is it possible that something has got corrupted in the software after the upgrade from 2.28 to 3.07 - which is when the problems started?

Comment

Working...
                              X