Problem with Thread Subscriptions & Notifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Thread Subscriptions & Notifications

Have some weird problems on vB3.0.4 that seem to be related. The following is happening:

1) Users are sometimes not receiving e-mail notifications.

2) Users attempting to subscribe to threads get the "You do not have permission to access this page" error.

2A) Users who are trying to view their thread subscriptions in the User CP are also getting the "no permission" error.

3) PM notifications ARE getting through OK.

4) As an admin, I can get to the thread subscription function just fine.

This appears to have happened in the past day or so, and I haven't been around to make any changes in the admin CP. In fact, I've even gone in and scanned through all of the settings in vB Options, Usergroup Manager, etc. that might affect it and didn't find any relevant settings.

Our members "speak":

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...ad.php?t=54819

Am I missing a setting here, or could there be some database corruption? Nothing has been changed in the admin CP, and we haven't had any db problems in about a week.

1. Make sure you have a valid webmaster's email address in your Admin CP settings and that there is only one address. Then try this:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Enable "-f" Parameter -> Yes

Then try the vB email functions.

If it still doesn't work, then this is either a server and/or mailbox issue.

vB uses PHP's mail() function for all its email and uses the SMTP server specified in php.ini. If PHP and the mail server are configured correctly then email will work.

Since some email is working, you will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what happened to those emails that don't work. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. If you are on a shared server you may need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that many ISPs and mail clients are putting in very aggressive spam filters. It's possible these emails are being placed into a spam folder or are being filtered.

2. (You should upgrade to 3.0.7.) The first thing I recommend is that you reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server.

Next, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Then have these users change to this style and view your forums with it. Do they have the same problem?

2a. Same as #2

3 and 4. Which shows that vB email is worrking and the problem is on the server and/or user end.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I think what's puzzling me is that this just started happing over the past 24-48 hours when nothing was done to the server or vB: it wouldn't just stop working after running fine for months. I'm also going to check the admin logs and see if something was accidentally changed...but nobody really has access to the admin CP beside me and my backup admin (who has his own vB forum and knows his way around the "innards" as well).

I'll start checking on the items above shortly and let you know what happens.

Comment

This would not show up on the Admin logs. You need to check the server mail logs.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          This would not show up on the Admin logs. You need to check the server mail logs.
          I was just checking to see if anyone else logged in and may have edited a template, or something similar, without my knowing it.

Comment

No sooner do I post...I tried something on a hunch.

One thing I did a couple days ago was make "registered" members a "banned" usergroup. From reading other posts here in the past, I thought that making this a banned group only put that usergroup into the "ban" menu in modcp. (Users / Ban User from modcp. This is enabled by the "This Usergroup is a 'Banned' Group" item in the Usergroup Manager.) That way, my moderators could then unban or unsuspend someone just by "banning" them to the Registered usergroup. IOW, from what I understood, the Ban User function was just a mechanism by which I could let moderators move users between certain usergroups. Apparently it does more than that!

Sorry for the false alarm.

Comment

Working...
            X