Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Editing/replacing post image fails - uses cache?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing/replacing post image fails - uses cache?

When I try to update an image inserted via URL in an existing post, the original image is used instead of the newer image. (On the server, the image has the same filename.) In order to use the new image, I have to use a new filename. Is this due to something being cached? Is this a bug?

I would have thought that when I edit a new post and upload an image with the same url/name, the new one would be used.

<Wrong forum - moved>

What's the link to a post containing this image?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

This would be based on browser behavior. When you use a URL, your browser is responsible for checking if that image is updated or not.

If you edit an attachment, it should be updated and shown properly in the browser.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        <Wrong forum - moved>

What's the link to a post containing this image?
        http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141896 - the first post (actually an image)

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          This would be based on browser behavior. When you use a URL, your browser is responsible for checking if that image is updated or not.

If you edit an attachment, it should be updated and shown properly in the browser.
          Why would it be browser based? Wouldn't it be the vB upload/editor function? I click on the vB editor "upload image" button, it asks me for a URL, I type it, and the image in the editor isn't updated with the new version on the server. Unless I change the file name and try uploading it that way.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          One would assume, but that hasn't been the case.

Comment

Yes, that's a browser cache issue.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              Yes, that's a browser cache issue.
              Hmmm. Damn Firefox. Isn't there a way to force the editor to refresh/get the file from the URL/server? I don't see how the browser is caching the image when it's the editor that's supposed to be getting the file via the URL. But, I guess that's why I'm not a programmer.

Comment

According to the post linked to you are using the [img] BBCode not the attachment system. This is why it is a browser issue.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X