Using Windows 2003 and Notifs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Windows 2003 and Notifs

We have about 4 vBulletin forums on a Windows 2003 server. There is one forum that is pretty busy from time to time and the notifs seem to be irregular.

Is there something that can be done to fix this?

Thank you,
    Corey
    My Merchant Account Blog | Expression Web Blog

'notifs'?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Notifs = email notifications.
      Corey

Comment

Try this:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Enable "-f" Parameter -> Yes

Then try the vB email functions. If it still doesn't work, then this is either a server and/or mailbox issue.

vB uses PHP's mail() function for all its email and uses the SMTP server specified in php.ini. If PHP and the mail server are configured correctly then email will work.

Since some email is working, you will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what happened to those emails that don't work. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. If you are on a shared server you may need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks - I made that change and will check with some users
          Corey

Comment

After further testing - this is what I have noticed. Email notifications do not work on Private messaging and on Messages in general.

But when someone registers, they get an email from the message board. Also, on one of the boards, the admin has it also set up to receive a notification when a new member has signed up. And he receives this.

And I have been testing just php email all morning - that works. But the notifications for privates and messages do not.
            Corey

Comment

There is nothing different with those types of emails. vB either attempts to send all emails or no emails. Since some are being sent then this is a server and/or mailbox issue. As I stated earlier you will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what happened to those emails that don't work. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. If you are on a shared server you may need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I am actually hosting these myself. As far as I can tell they are not even getting to the mail server. The only ones that make it are the registration notifications and the emails (when the user says it is OK to email form the website)
                Corey

Comment

Honestly there is no difference in these emails so if vB is sending one to the server, then it's sending them all. If you want to open a support ticket and provide root access to this server we can check this out for you. Be sure to also provide the Admin CP URL and login as well as the location of the mail logs.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I'll check this out. Does the vBulletin have like a 30-day free support or something similar?
                    Corey

Comment

We have free support for as long as you own your license.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Just so that others might need to know, we set up: Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Use Mailqueue System -> No - and now no problems! Thanks Steve!
                        Corey

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X