• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• malljack
    replied
    Originally posted by Fuzzy Logic
    Hi

My forum forms part of a website which may not appeal to everybody (nothing sinister, just a sarcastic look at life), so to get more people to join my forum (which is much broader in appeal), I decided to register a couple of new domain names which I have directed at my forums subdirectory.

The forums work perfectly well on these other domains (and I'm even able to have different graphics in the header without changing any code ), however I have noticed a slight issue - and it's that users can log on to more than one domain name with different user names on the same PC!

So, for example:

User goes to mywebsite.com and logs in as Username 1
    Same user then goes to mynewdomain.com and logs in as Username 2

Is there any way around this? I know I can restrict IP addresses from logging on more than one user at a time (I think) but I don't want to do this, as many of my visitors use PCs at work, college, school, etc and share IP addresses.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Do you mind telling me how to do this where each domain has a different header?

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    I use my main domain for the Forum URL.

I don't know how Google handles it. I have never had any problems.

Leave a comment:

• venomx
    replied
    Thanks.
    Hey do do YOU handle the
    Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details -> Forum URL part?

Also do you know if Google will punish people that do this for having Dup content?

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    Read this.

Leave a comment:

• venomx
    replied
    This is the part that made me think it wasnt allowed.

[quote]
    Each licence may power one instance of the Software on one domain
    [/qoute]

The way I took it is if you park 2 domains on top the forums domain thats 3 sites running VB with the same database.

Leave a comment:

• venomx
    replied
    Cool, I thought about doing that but then I thought we wasnt allowed. Then I got to thinking, wont Google see the sites as having dup content and remove them all?

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    Multiple parked domains are allowed, like my site:

http://www.mscclan.com/forum/
    http://www.macsubculture.com/forum/
    http://www.mac-gamer.com/forum/

Leave a comment:

• venomx
    replied
    Are we allowed to do this? I thought it would break the terms of the contract.

Leave a comment:

• Fuzzy Logic
    replied
    Thanks. I'll chance it anyway and hope that nobody notices!

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    Cookies are domain specific. It is not possible to set a cookie's scope to cover multiple domains. If you login at one domain and then load a different domain, then a fresh cookie will be created.

I think that was your question. So basically there is nothing you can do.

Leave a comment:

• Fuzzy Logic
    started a topic My forum is available on several URLs

My forum is available on several URLs

Hi

My forum forms part of a website which may not appeal to everybody (nothing sinister, just a sarcastic look at life), so to get more people to join my forum (which is much broader in appeal), I decided to register a couple of new domain names which I have directed at my forums subdirectory.

The forums work perfectly well on these other domains (and I'm even able to have different graphics in the header without changing any code ), however I have noticed a slight issue - and it's that users can log on to more than one domain name with different user names on the same PC!

So, for example:

User goes to mywebsite.com and logs in as Username 1
    Same user then goes to mynewdomain.com and logs in as Username 2

Is there any way around this? I know I can restrict IP addresses from logging on more than one user at a time (I think) but I don't want to do this, as many of my visitors use PCs at work, college, school, etc and share IP addresses.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X