Ban somebody from even viewing the forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ban somebody from even viewing the forums

Is it possible to ban users so they can't even view the forums?
    So it just says

Your IP has been banned your not able to view these forums.

I presumed that was what the IP ban was for but we can still see the user viewing certain threads.
    Last edited by SIMES; Tue 7th Jun '05, 7:13am.

Also is it possible to ban an entire range of users starting with the same prefix?

ie
    banning -plumbers- would ban

-plumbers- fred
    -plumbers- fi
    -plumbers- fjohn
    -plumbers- dave

Comment

1. The IP ban does keep them from viewing the forums.

2. Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> User Registration Options -> Illegal User Names

Enter names in here that you do not want people to be able to register.

If any of the names here are included within the username, the user will told that there is an error. For example, if you make the name John illegal, the name Johnathan will also be disallowed.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi Steve

Thanks for your help, in general the IP ban does seem to do that, we did some testing on our own members, but somehow this guy's IP is added, he can't post but he can view threads ..

I guess we can live with one guy being able to do it, how god only knows.

Comment

Originally posted by SIMES
          Hi Steve

Thanks for your help, in general the IP ban does seem to do that, we did some testing on our own members, but somehow this guy's IP is added, he can't post but he can view threads ..

I guess we can live with one guy being able to do it, how god only knows.
          If one person can do it, then surely several people can do it, which is a security issue.

Does anyone know a fix for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy Logic
            If one person can do it, then surely several people can do it, which is a security issue.

Does anyone know a fix for this?
            It's not hard to change your IP. IP bans are pointless.
            "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by _nick
              It's not hard to change your IP. IP bans are pointless.

Hmm, well I guess

a) That's not really the point he was making
              b) Many people do have fixed IP's so and rarely would your average spammer or moron bother to change his IP at his ISP just so he can spam a forum again, it will stop most.
              c) Using xx.xx.xx as a IP ban catches even more as we seem to see that often even if using DHCP or equivalent the guys still end up with the same 3 sections of the IP being the same so we do still catch them.

Sure nothing is 100% concrete or ideal, but to say its' pointless isn't strictly correct.

Comment

Hmm, well I guess

a) That's not really the point he was making
                b) Many people do have fixed IP's so and rarely would your average spammer or moron bother to change his IP at his ISP just so he can spam a forum again, it will stop most.
                c) Using xx.xx.xx as a IP ban catches even more as we seem to see that often even if using DHCP or equivalent the guys still end up with the same 3 sections of the IP being the same so we do still catch them.

Sure nothing is 100% concrete or ideal, but to say its' pointless isn't strictly correct.
                Most people don't have to contact their ISP. With my broadband modem, all I have to do is reboot it and my IP is different.
                "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by _nick
                  Most people don't have to contact their ISP. With my broadband modem, all I have to do is reboot it and my IP is different.

Absolutely thats because you don't have a fixed IP address whereas some people do. They would have to go through a lot of rigmarole to change their IP simply to post some spam on a forum.

If your ISP uses a DHCP equiv, then yes you just reboot the modem or router, but even then you will tend to find that the first 2 sets of digits in your IP and often the first 3 are the same, not always, of course it depends on your ISP.
                  Last edited by SIMES; Wed 8th Jun '05, 4:28am.

Comment

Absolutely thats because you don't have a fixed IP address whereas some many people do. They would have to go through a lot of rigmarole to change their IP simply to post some spam on a forum.

If your ISP uses a DHCP equiv, then yes you just reboot the modem or router, but even then you will tend to find that the first 2 sets of digits in your IP and often the first 3 are the same, not always, of course it depends on your ISP.
                    Ah I see.

Comment

How do you know that he's actually viewing the thread? When you tested IP banning with your own members, did you check to see whether or not they were shown in who's online? I've seen lot's of people scared because the session information (and thus the location) gets processed before the permissions checks.
                      http://www.zelaron.com/sigs/rotsig.gif

Comment

If the IP is banned and he is accessing from that IP, then all he is seeing is the 'no permission' page.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Absolutely thats because you don't have a fixed IP address whereas some people do. They would have to go through a lot of rigmarole to change their IP simply to post some spam on a forum.

Let us put our two cents.
                          We often test different sites on standart security leaks, so for our job we often need to change IP. There are no need to bother ISP, and there are no restriction about first 2 sets of digits at all. Probably you heard about anynonimizers, which allow you to change visible IP in two clicks, even w/o reboot.
                          And this is very well known thing.

So, hm, what we are talking about? Oh, yeah
                          If you don't need someone evil presense on forum - it's not always good idea to ban him by IP or username, pushing such evil guy to change his IP or usernames. We had seen more or less good hack on vbulletin.org, which allow to create special usergroups which will give random errors to user (404, long delay before loading page and etc), and he'll start to think that something wrong with your forum and go away, instead finding the new way to bother you.
                          We had install id, like it and get rid from couple of guys who were boring enough.

Comment

Then you have a different system to where you live than here. If your ISP issues you a fixed IP, (typically this is requested by the customer) then yes you have to contact them to change that fixed IP, as I have now said 3 times if it's not a fixed IP then of course you don't need to bother them and I didnt' state theree are any restrictions on the first 2 sets of digits in an IP address, simply that often with many ISP's their range of allocated IP addresses often are prefixed by the same 2 sets of digits.

Comment

This will be solved by preventing unregistered guests from viewing the forums.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X