Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post's Dissapearing...

Hi,

A Couple of day's ago, my forum lost a huge amount of post's, the posts my forum had are over 30k, but they depleted to 10k then to 9k in an instant.

I thought it was a hacker to be honest, but i don't think it is, as the same thing is happening again, except its down to 20k.

When it first happened, i had to restore a database backup that was 2 day's old, and now...its happening all over again as i speak. I don't know if more will get deleted, i don't hope so.

I don't know why this is happening, maybe it could be a bug? or maybe database problems?

Help would be appreciated ~_~.

I can guarantee there is no bug that would do this. If there are no other symptons other thasn the posts being deleted, then this is the result of someone doing this on purpose.

Without knowing how you are being hacked it's difficult to stop it. For instance if your server is being compromised then there is nothing in vB that will stop a hacker from taking over.

Here's some things you can do to increase the level of security for your forums:

1. Upgrade to the latest version.
    2. Do not install any hacks
    3. Password protect your Admin and Mod CPs: http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml
    4. Make sure the getadmin.php (vB2) or tools.php (vB3) file is NOWHERE on your website
    5. If you have phpMyAdmin make sure it's password protected.
    6. Inform your host of these hack attempts and ask them to check the logs to see when your account was accessed.
    7. Also ask your host to change the login password for your account
    8. Change all your Admin and Mod passwords.

Note your forums are only as secure as the passwords you use and the server it is on. If the server is accessed then there's nothing vB can do to prevent potential security violations.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hey,

Well when i noticed it was happening again, i turned the forums offline, and the deleting has seemed to stop now. The occurence's of the deleting seem to be instant, and seem to start from older threads to the newest ones.

First time it happened, i went to the moderator log, and it showed me "Soft Deleted" the thread's, if i soft deleted them, which i didn't they should be seeable right?

They arn't as i checked, but i will take your precauction's, and hopefully nothing like this happens again =/.

Comment

Originally posted by Akechi
        First time it happened, i went to the moderator log, and it showed me "Soft Deleted" the thread's, if i soft deleted them, which i didn't they should be seeable right?
        Someone is logged in as you and is deleting these. You need to change your password and follow all the other suggestions I made earlier. Good luck!

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          Someone is logged in as you and is deleting these. You need to change your password and follow all the other suggestions I made earlier. Good luck!
          Added more security now =).

Hopefully won't happen again.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

i hope its not to do with some automatic pruning jobs.

Comment

I checked scheduled task's out, and..yeah that thought came to mind, but really can't think of what pruning job would do that.

Comment

There is no built-in function like this in vB. That would have to be from a hack or malicious script uploaded to this server.

Besides, the logs already show that posts are being removed by the Admin account.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X