Primary Usergroup Changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary Usergroup Changes?

I have a member who paid for a "premier membership" subscription, which changed their primary usergroup to "premier member" for one year. Since that time, they have joined the staff as a "mentor."

I changed their primary usergroup to "mentors" and checked "premier member" as one of their secondary usergroups.

Earlier today, they performed an edit on their profile, and later noticed that they were now identified as a "premier member" in their title (rather than "mentor"). I checked their profile, and sure enough, "premier member" was now their primary usergroup.

Any ideas why their usergroup changed? I want the member to keep their "premier member" status, as they paid for it and their "mentor" status is provisional, however I also want the mentor status to show up in their user title and username color, etc. I figured that the right way to do this was to set "mentor" as their primary usergroup. Should I have kept their primary usergroup set to "premier member" and then selected "mentor" for the displayed usergroup?

Why did their primary usergroup change like that?
    BigBlueBall for everything about instant messaging
    GetGamer to get gamer news, reviews and gear

If your usergroup settings are set up properly, the user should have the option to choose which usergroup they want to be identified with in the User CP Group Membership options.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Neither usergroup is publically selectable. The member did edit her profile, but she only changed her email address.

Comment

Ask her to look in the User CP to see if there is a Group Membership section. There should be even if the groups are not publicly selectable.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

There is no "Group Membership" section anywhere in the User CP.

Comment

Have you logged in under her account to confirm this? If you have not installed any hacks (which includes portals), fill out a support ticket at:

http://members.vbulletin.com/members...ontactform.php

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I haven't logged in under her account, but I did so with a similarly configured test account.

I don't see a "Group Membership" section of ANY of the vBulletin forums that I belong to, including my own two sites (bigblueball.com and getgamer.com), vBulletin.com, vBulletin.org, theadminzone.com, etc.

Where should this appear?

At bigblueball.com (the site where I had this particular problem) I do have some mods installed; but I'm not sure if that's the same thing as a "hack." I don't have any portal mods/hacks installed.

Comment

If you have modified any of the original vB files, then this is a hack.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  If you have modified any of the original vB files, then this is a hack.
                  Originally posted by GetGamer.com
                  I don't see a "Group Membership" section of ANY of the vBulletin forums that I belong to, including my own two sites (bigblueball.com and getgamer.com), vBulletin.com, vBulletin.org, theadminzone.com, etc. Where should this appear?
                  Ok, but can you tell me where this "Group Membership" section should show up? I don't see it on any of the vBulletin forums I frequent, including here at vBulletin.com.

Comment

It' in the User CPand it will only show if there are public usergroups. We don' have any public groups on these forums.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

That's why I don't see it... I don't have any publicly joinable usergroups defined on my site either.

I don't know if this will help, but I've attached screenshots of the member's usergroups as well as the usergroup permissions for their primary usergroup (mentor) and the subscription usergroup (premier member).

Could there be something in the nature of the paid subscription usergroup that would check to see if their annual subscription was up yet and reset their primary usergroup?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, it doesn't have to be a publicly joinable group. You just need to make sure this is set to yes for each custom usergroup you want to have this option:

Can override primary group title/markup

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                          Sorry, it doesn't have to be a publicly joinable group. You just need to make sure this is set to yes for each custom usergroup you want to have this option:

Can override primary group title/markup
                          Overriding the title/markup is not the problem. The problem was that the member's primary usergroup changed, and I'm trying to figure out how and why.

Here's the sequence of events:
                          1. Member pays for a "premier member" subscription (one year). Primary usergroup is automatically changed by vBulletin to "premier member"
                          2. Member joins staff as a "mentor." I manually change her primary usergroup to "mentor," but retain "premier member" as a secondary usergroup.
                          3. Member changes her email address through the User CP.
                          4. Member later notices that the title and markup code for her name has reverted to that of a "premier member" and not a mentor. I check her profile, and sure enough, "premier member" is now her primary usergroup.
                          I'm wondering if there is something in the combination of having a paid subscription membership (that is no longer a primary usergroup) AND changing her email address (which forces a validation email) that switched her primary usergroup.

Comment

I really don't know. Are you sure you do not have a User Promotion that may be doing this?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X