User profile fields, other choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User profile fields, other choices

Are there other choices besides a text box for custom profile fields. On my UBB software I could have dropdown choices of lets say MALE & FEMALE. If you give your users a text box, then can pretty much put whatever they want in there.

Tips?

Yes you have that option with vb3. When you create the profile field you should see an option on whether you want it to have a text box or a drop down selection box or a multiple option selection box and maybe some others.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

oh I see now. I actually have to add it then I can choose it. I was just in the profile field manager trying to edit my existing profile fields that got imported from UBB. So Im gonna have to recreate the fields I guess.

Ok, good enough, thanks!

Comment

actually now that i think about it, that cant be an option right? If i start deleting those custom fields, then wont all my members data be gone?

Comment

So you would want to use a MySQL query to copy all the data from one field to another. And if it's a Male/Female that you are moving to a type-in field, then the values are probably 0 for male and 1 for female. You'll have to transform that data into Male and Female. Bit tricky.

Comment

Hmmm.... do you have access to phpmyadmin? If so can take a look at your imported custom field to tell us what the value is for male/female and the same for a new selectable custom field you created?
            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

looks like its just called "field"

I havnt created a new one yet, but Im sure a new field value would be callied field10 or whatever numeric value is next
              Attached Files

Comment

bump

Comment

Reeve means what value is stored at the moment in that field.
                  Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                  Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

I still dont know how to transfer all of this. I created a dropdown now for male and female. in phpmyadmin, male and female are the values in the older text box field.

How do I copy all of the data over from the old text field (field9) to the new dropdown (field14) and still keep data integrity?

Comment

Like asked before, please provide examples of the data stored in your old text field.
                      Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                      Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

examples? I did didnt I? male and female are the examples. I also posted a screenshot above...

Comment

ya, so if i can get a basic query that will copy the data over to another field, I might be able to figure it out.

Comment

query would look something like:

UPDATE MyTable SET fieldX to 1 where fieldY = 'female';

then

UPDATE MyTable SET fieldX to 2 where fieldY = 'male';

You'll need to know the EXACT text of the male/female choices, as well as the EXACT values of your new field for a male & female. Then simply plug the correct information into the queries above, add your table name, and execute.

Comment

Does this look right? Before I execute?

UPDATE 'userfield' SET field14 to 'Male' where field9 = 'Male';

field9 is the old data, and field14 is the new dropdown field.

Male and Female are used for the old field value, field9, not 1's and 2's

Already tried, and didnt workk.... ;(
                              Last edited by paul41598; Thu 2 Jun '05, 12:52pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X