Sudden Link-ID == false errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden Link-ID == false errors

I need some help with this problem. One of my sites was running just fine till 3:27 pm EST when it started throwing the following errors.

Database error in vBulletin :

Link-ID == false, connect failed
    mysql error:

mysql error number: 0

Date: Tuesday 24th of May 2005 03:27:30 PM
    Script: http://www.shadowedsoul.com/
    Referer:
    IP Address: 70.146.63.94
    From what I read this occurs when the MySQL server is down or the database becomes corrupt. I know my MySQL server is up since two other vBulletin websites running off of it in different DBs are fine. Im also able to connect to the downed sites DB using phpMyadmin. I followed the advice here to test changing my persistant connection setting in config.php. Other than that no other changes have been made to config.php for months and the login and password definitely work since they are used to log into phpMyadmin. I ran the repair function on all by the session and cpsession tables and everything came back clean except a photopost table which really should be preventing the vbulletin portion of the website from starting up. I need suggestions on what to try next. Thanks for the help.

Pirotess
    http://www.shadowedsoul.com

Try to onnect manually to the database from a SSH/Telnet commandline:
    Code:
    mysql -u UserName -p DatabaseName
    See if you ca connect like that.
    Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
    Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

This error means that either:

1) The db info in your config.php file is wrong (in which case your forums won't work at all.)

2) That user doesn't have permission to access the database listed in config.php.

3) The database doesn't exist.

4) MySQL isn't accepting new connections. (The server could either be down or has reached it's maximum connections limit - either on a server or user level.)

An addendum to point 4 is that PHP wasn't able to get a socket (at the OS level) to do the connect. I would say this is about the same as what can happen to fsockopen(). From the PHP Manual (http://php.he.net/manual/en/function.fsockopen.php):

If you are sure your config.php info is correct, then you will need to contact your host about this.

Note, many servers are being probed for the phpBB worm these days and the MySQL server is being overloaded. This could account for these errors.

These are all the known reasons for the 'false, connect failed' error. If there is another unknown cause (which based on my knowledge and experience is very unlikely), then that is beyond my knowledge.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

My sites are dropping like flies. I went into cpanel to check how I had my other sites setup and the site started tossing errors. Im checking now to see if cpanel pushed an update to the MySQL component that might be causing these failures. I suspect that the problem best fits into reason #2 but if cpanel didnt change something in its daily cron I have no idea why it just broke now.

Comment

Definitely looking like a permissions problem now. I noticed on the front page of phpMyadmin I no longer have permissions to create/drop databases.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcoH64
            Try to onnect manually to the database from a SSH/Telnet commandline:
            Code:
            mysql -u UserName -p DatabaseName
            See if you ca connect like that.
            Yep I can connect that way via SSH with no issues. I just went in and reset all my MySQL passwords to match my config.php settings. I also went in and regranted all permissions to the account in question to the database. This brought back my ability to create/delete databases and empty/drop databases in phpMyadmin but the site remains down. Any ideas where to go to check my max connections?

Comment

Admin CP -> Import & Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> System Information -> MySQL Variables -> Submit
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I cant even get into the admincp though.

Comment

Additional info. One of my three sites remains in working order. Its the only one I havent connected to with phpMyAdmin. I confirmed neither the apache server or PHP has been rebuilt since Apr, 28th so nothing ran automatically and the MySQL server appears to be fine using phpMyadmin and SSH/mysql. I cant get into any part of my two sites including the admincp. I have no idea what to do.

Comment

Solved. Cpanel stopped passing along its account information to the MySQL server as valid MySQL users like it had been for a few months that this server had been running. I added new MySQL users via cpanel and changed my config.php. I also added old_passwords to my.cnf and restarted apache and mysql. The combination of the two fixed the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirotess
                      Solved. Cpanel stopped passing along its account information to the MySQL server as valid MySQL users like it had been for a few months that this server had been running. I added new MySQL users via cpanel and changed my config.php. I also added old_passwords to my.cnf and restarted apache and mysql. The combination of the two fixed the problem.
                      make sure you run cpanel stable releases and not edge or other non-stable releases and keep it up to date.
                      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X