Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Machol
    replied
    vB 3.5.0 allows you to directly use SMTP for email. With vB 3.0.x, you will need to stick with PHP's mail() function.

Leave a comment:

• ywang98
    replied
    I have the same question/problem as well.

I did some search and found out that basically vB3 uses what is specified int php.ini, but I do not want to use that account for my forum.

I host my own email server and the web server which hosts multiple domains and two vB forums. I want to use different email account to send out emails from the different forums. Right now, vB is using the default domain account to send out email, but this is bad for me since the emails will then lose its identity (other than address used in the body of the email, but the email account is still wrong).

I used to use phpBB2, and it let you specify specific account username and password for the email that it is using. Thus I was hosting different forums and sending out emails from actual different email accounts.

Steve, can you help us fix this, please?

Leave a comment:

• DiSH
    replied
    Email 'spoofing' triggering spam block?

Hi again Steve,

This makes sense the more I think of it. Nowhere in the setup of vBulletin do you have to provide a username / password / and mailserver setup for the $technicalemail account, correct? You only provide the address. So, vBulletin can't actually be logging into that email account and using it to send digest emails!

It must be accessing the server's mail service directly through PHP code. And isn't that the essence of all email "spoofing"?....physically sending email from one account and masking the true "from" address with another?

Perhaps this is enough for more conservative spam-block and filtering software programs on ISP servers and end users' machines to filter out digests as junk mail.......?

Darrin Hunter

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Interesting. I received a daily digest email last night from these forums and fully expected it to come from the webmaster's email address. Instead it shows '[email protected]' in the From field. I'm not sure where this is coming from. It may be from the $technicalemail address in config.php. I'll ask the Devs and let you know.

Leave a comment:

• DiSH
    replied
    Where is the digest email actually coming from?!

Hi Steve,

I have a question related to this topic. The daily digest emails that are sent from our vBulletin boards have the return address set up in the Admin CP as you stated above.

But, I don't believe the PHP code is actually using the specified return email account to physically send the digest emails, correct?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to troubleshoot daily digest email delivery problems for 6 of our ~60 members. They are the only ones not getting the digests. And they all use the same ISP......which leads me to believe that it could be a ISP-level spam blocker that's interfering.

So, I sent test emails to all these folks using the Admin return email account the digests supposedly "come from", and they all received the test emails correctly!

So, I'm at my wit's end on how to help them. Without knowing the details of the PHP, I have a feeling that vBulletin is accessing the mail subroutine directly through some default account, and the generated emails then appear to not "come from" the specified return address which probably looks suspicious to spam-blocking softwares at both the ISP and user hard-drive levels.........??

Any ideas?
    Thanks for reading,
    Darrin Hunter

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    You would have to change the webmaster email address in the Admin CP. Otherwise this requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.

Leave a comment:

• Yehuda
    started a topic email question

email question

When users supbscribe to a thread and receive email notification, they receive an email from the address I put as the admin.

I would like to change that, so that a different email is used for that, such as: [email protected]

IS there a way to do that?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X