Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stripping secondary group rights when user is banned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping secondary group rights when user is banned.

Hi - on my forums we have two banned users groups. The standard ban group is still there, but we also have a group called gag. We use this for minor offenders - they can read the site and PM users, but they can not make posts.

Another feature we have, is that we only allow users with 50 posts who have been users for at least 2 months to post in our for sale forums. This feature helps protect users from bad sellers and is run as a group promotion.

The problem I have, is that if we gag a user who is allowed to post adverts, they can still post them, even when gagged. I would like to set-up an hourly task (internal cron?) to strip gagged users of their advertising rights. I'm not sure, but it is possible this would also happen if a user was banned.

The cron would effectively be:
    If user is "gagged" and secondard group is "can post ads", remove secondary group "can post ads" from user's profile.
    Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mike Warner; Thu 19th May '05, 8:18am.
    Mike Warner
    MIGWeb - a Vauxhall Site for Enthusiasts of all Vauxhalls

Are you using more secondary groups, or just this can post ads group?
    Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
    Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

I use secondary groups for something else too. Sorry - it doesn't make things easier I know.
      Mike Warner

Comment

Well this would require modifying source code. I suggest you post your request at vbulletin.org Make sure to provide as much information as possible.
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

The other thing I use secondary groups for could be changed (it only effects one of my mods who has been given a few admin powers) - making the "can post ads" group the only secondary group I use. It would be easy for me to make this change and I don't mind doing it.

Assuming I do this, would it be possible to do the above without a hack? - I really want to keep hacks to a minimum.
          Mike Warner

Comment

Never mind hacking. I just thought of a much better solution to this:

Edit your "gagged" Usergroup, and set "Allow Users to have Member Groups" to No.

That should do the trick.

Comment

You are a star. There are so many settings in there, it is sometimes difficult to spot simple solutions!!

Many thanks for your help.
              Mike Warner

Comment

Working...
              X