Who's online and forum permissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's online and forum permissions

I've got a forum set up to be accessible by only one usergroup, call it the "private" group, yet users in the super-moderator group can still see the forum name a private user is in when they're looking under who's online. The forum permissions for super-moderators are set so that they can't access the private forums at all. What am I doing wrong? I just want it to say "viewing forum" when a user is in a private forum. How can I do that? Thanks.

Super Mods are basically Admins without Admin CP access. I do not think there is any way to block them from being able to view this info.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Actually you can also limit a Super moderator.

Edit the Super Moderator Usergroup, and set all the Who's Online location permissions to no.

This will however limit them more then only seeing Private Forums.
      Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
      Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

I've been doing some testing, and Who's Online is not taking forum viewing permissions into account, no matter what usergroup--mod, super mod, or registered is viewing the listing.

According to the help, if someone in the Who's Online listing is viewing a forum that the person looking at Who's Online has no access to, the listing should just show "Viewing Forum" for that individual in the listing. But it doesn't. It shows the name of the forum and provides a link. If the user viewing Who's Online clicks the link, they get the "No Permission" page.

For this Usergroup, based off of Registered, the "Can View Who's Online" is set to "yes," all the other permissions below that in the Who's Online Permissions panel is set to "no." Now, if someone in the listing is viewing a thread inside a private subforum, the listing just shows "Viewing Thread." But if they're at the forum level, either a private parent or a private child, Who's Online will show the name of the forum, provide a link to it (even though the Help says the URL for these needs to be typed in directly) and advertise the forum's existence to members who shouldn't even know it's there.

Is there some way around this? Am I doing something wrong? I'd really like the Who's Online listing to just say "Viewing Forum" when it's being seen by a member with no access. I'm using vB 3.06.

Comment

Originally posted by 1kether1
          I've been doing some testing, and Who's Online is not taking forum viewing permissions into account, no matter what usergroup--mod, super mod, or registered is viewing the listing.
          With all due respect if your permissions are set correctly and you have not installed any hacks (some hacks are known to cause problems with permissions) then this is not possible.

If you have no hacks, then people will only be able to view what the permissions settings (both Usergroup defaults and individual Forum Permissions) allow them to view.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Steve, thanks for trying to help me out.

I've got no hacks installed; the only templates I've modified are the header template and headerinclude template.

The usergroup's default permissions are set as for Registered; the private forum permissions for all usergroups except "Private" are set to No. No view, search, post, anything. When a member of Registered clicks Who's online, they can see the name and link of the Private forum if a member of the Private group is in that forum, but not if he's actually viewing a thread. In that case, the listing just says "Viewing Thread" with no name.

I'm testing on two machines that share the same IP. Would that have anything to do with it? Am I seeing something that other users wouldn't because permissions are IP based?

Comment

There are no IP based permissions. Unfortunately I don't have anything to add to my previous post. If the permissions are set correctly and there are no hacks, then people will only be allowed to view what the permissions allow them to view.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment