forum server getting slower and slower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forum server getting slower and slower

We run our forum on one server. Means httpd and database sit on the same piece of hardware. Specs are as follows.

CPU: Celeron 1.2Ghz (i know )
    RAM: 256 MB RAM

So, I know this is not much. Also, I am moving over to a more powerful piece of hardware next week (it's ordered). P4-HT, 3ghz, 1 GB RAM and so on.

However since I am experiencing problems now, I'd like to tune it a little if possible. The problem arrises from out of the blue. Suddenly more and more connections stay open and they are not closed immediately. I tweaked the *_timeout settings for mysqld now, but I am wondering if you had more suggestions.

Here is my my.cnf

# The MySQL server
    [mysqld]
    port = 3306
    socket = /tmp/mysql.sock
    skip-locking
    key_buffer = 16M
    max_allowed_packet = 1M
    table_cache = 64
    sort_buffer_size = 512K
    net_buffer_length = 8K
    read_buffer_size = 256K
    read_rnd_buffer_size = 512K
    myisam_sort_buffer_size = 8M
    skip-networking
    server-id = 1
    interactive_timeout = 10
    wait_timeout = 10
    My httpd.conf

ServerType standalone
    ServerRoot "/usr/local"
    PidFile /var/run/httpd.pid
    Timeout 150
    KeepAlive On
    MaxKeepAliveRequests 200
    KeepAliveTimeout 15
    MinSpareServers 20
    MaxSpareServers 50
    StartServers 15
    MaxClients 350
    MaxRequestsPerChild 100
    ListenBacklog 20
    LimitRequestFields 40
    LimitRequestFieldSize 1000
    LimitRequestLine 1000
    I commented out whatever modules are not in use. So this should be lightweight. The installation is from the ports (FreeBSD 4.10).

Thanks for any advice!

Tom

Memory is LIFE to a server. You should have AT LEAST 1 Gb, and preferably 2.

Comment

Good god, you are insanely underpowered...

After yoiu move to your new server, provide all the info we need so we can optmize that server for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
        Good god, you are insanely underpowered...

After yoiu move to your new server, provide all the info we need so we can optmize that server for you.
        No chance we can do *anything* now? :|

Comment

I tried to get some more installed in this server, but no retailer was able to get some for me. And the one I got was not picked up by the board. Ahem...

Comment

If you own your server, you can look on the manufacturer's website for the memory requirements of your server model. This will determine how large the mem chips can be each (capacity), as well as how many you can have on-board. Then you can surf over to ebay and obtain the mem you need at a good price.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Olson
              If you own your server, you can look on the manufacturer's website for the memory requirements of your server model. This will determine how large the mem chips can be each (capacity), as well as how many you can have on-board. Then you can surf over to ebay and obtain the mem you need at a good price.
              Don't need this. I ordered new hardware, I want to optimize some (if possible) for a few days. I never just throw hardware on a problem, I want every bit of performance that is possible.

Comment

I think you'll find that in this case, throwing hardware (RAM) at the problem will go a LONG way toward solving your problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Olson
                  I think you'll find that in this case, throwing hardware (RAM) at the problem will go a LONG way toward solving your problems.
                  I am not doubting that I don't have a lot available right now. No question, traffic was just rising and I already stated that I got new hardware. I was looking for help in the meantime. Just telling me that I need new hardware - when I already ordered it and stated so in my first post - is useless then. :|

Comment

You asked what you needed. We told you. End of story.

You cannot "optimize" when you don't have hardware powerful enough to support your applications. Sorry, but that's the cold reality. When you get your new equipment remember this one thing: you need to keep your swap at as close to zero as you can. The higher the swap, the slower your server.

Not rocket science.

BTW, my forum has close to 1.5 million posts, and I run on a 4-server farm. My 95th percentile I/O rate is about 1.0 Mbps. I think I know a tad bit about performance...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X