Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to Backup an 1GB vB3 database

Hello,
    Currently I backup my DB manually. But is a pain, since is that big it takes a lot of time. I was thinking in the best way to backup the DB at least weekly, with a cronjob or something else automatically. Suggestions welcome. Thanks!

I use this bash script to do a daily backup, which get overwritten weekly...
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    file='/home/username/backup_'
    date=$(date +%A)
    mysqldump --opt -uusername -ppassword databasename > $file$date.sql
    It outputs backup_Tuesday.sql, backup_Wednesday.sql etc etc

Works for me
    Lats...

Comment

Originally posted by Lats
      I use this bash script to do a daily backup, which get overwritten weekly...
      Code:
      #!/bin/sh
      file='/home/username/backup_'
      date=$(date +%A)
      mysqldump --opt -uusername -ppassword databasename > $file$date.sql
      It outputs backup_Tuesday.sql, backup_Wednesday.sql etc etc

Works for me
      How big is your DB? And how long does it takes? I was thinking other alternatives over mysqldump, since I think it will take more time.

Comment

On a low end windows based server and around 1/4 the size of yours it takes around 10-15 seconds to backup into a neat .sql file.

There's a thread on this forum about copying the individual data files themselves, but I can't find it atm.

Check towards the bottom of this link...

http://pj.doland.org/archives/008323.php

it has a couple of bash scripts that may be what you're looking for.
        Lats...

Comment

need assistance with mysqldump

How can I do a mysqldump of my db?
          I'm currently running vBulletin 3.0.0 Beta 7 and I am running WinMySQL ver 1.4 for Win95/Win98/NT/Win2000.
          I am attempting to do the backup of my db so that I can import it onto my new server so that I can upgrade to the newer version of vBulletin.

I am trying to use the following script:
          mysqldump --opt -Q -uroot -p DBNAME > vb_backupMMDDYY.sql

Please understand that I did not install the original vBulletin version and I do not a broad knowledge of MySQL.

Thank you for your assistance!!!!

Comment

You need to be in mysql\bin and run mysqldump --opt -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD DATABASE > c:\file.sql

Comment

how do i get to mysql\bin in order to run mysqldump......?

Comment

You'd need to have access to telnet or access to the command line directly via RPD or somthing similiar

Comment

How about mysql.exe?
                  Can you assist me with upgrading vBulletin as I did not install the original vBulletin and the person that did no longer works here?

Comment

Originally posted by lgeai
                    How about mysql.exe?
                    Can you assist me with upgrading vBulletin as I did not install the original vBulletin and the person that did no longer works here?
                    you will probably have better luck asking about upgrading in this forum http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=58
                    http://www.weirdpixels.com/images/buttons/button.gif

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X