Hosting Provider moved servers, images now corrupted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosting Provider moved servers, images now corrupted

My web hosting company moved to a new data center and to new servers. Ever since this happened, all of the images that have been attached by users in the forums, since I started my forums, are all corrupted.

Is there a way to fix this or does the database have to be restored? If so, is there a way to just restore the attached images section so we won't lose any posts since that backup (a few weeks ago)?

I'm currently running 3.0.6

Thanks.
    Rad Craig,
    Induction Concepts, Inc.
    High Performance Twin Turbo Systems
    http://www.inductionconcepts.com

I'm afraid the images and/or original database will need to be restored. Were attachments being stored in the database or the file system?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have no idea, I didn't know I had a choice. How do I tell which its using? I just thought that any attached image went in the database. When someone attaches an image, I never can find the path, as it just gives me the url with an attachment id, and I don't know how to find that.
      Rad Craig,
      Induction Concepts, Inc.

Comment

Your best bets is they were in Database.

Comment

Originally posted by Induction Conce
          I have no idea, I didn't know I had a choice. How do I tell which its using? I just thought that any attached image went in the database. When someone attaches an image, I never can find the path, as it just gives me the url with an attachment id, and I don't know how to find that.
          Check:
          AdminCP->Attachments->Attachment Storage Type

And:
          AdminCP->Avatars->Avatar Storage Type
          Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
          Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Sounds like they have gone from a server with mysql 4.0.x to a server with mysql 4.1.x with the wrong default character set.

Comment

I have the same problem with my stored images on a VB 2.x forum. Just moved to a new server and updated the database from mysql 4.0 to 4.1.

Now avatars and images stored in the DB look scrambled. See attachment.

If I upload a new avatar, or image it looks fine. It is only the images that got transferred over that have a problem.

Is this something to do with the default character set?
              Anyone know of a fix?

Running PHP, MYSQL, IIS on Windows Server 2003.
              Attached Files

Comment

its a shame i have to do one of my first posts here.
                anyway same problem here.
                the host had a probelm and their answer was:
                " Vbulletin does store images in the database however their is no reason as to why the images would become corrupt as we send backups to a seperate drive and offsite every day."
                and
                "
                You may have received a failure notice while we were restoring access to our customers.

Basically what has happened is that we suffered a harddrive failure on the drive, we then restored customers sites from the previous day."

Avatars and attached images are corrupted. No idea my self how to handle things in mysql. I have a backup but I dont want to rollback cause all this back and forth took time and many posts will be lost.
                Is there anycase i can fix the old attachements and avatars?
                and how?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                  Sounds like they have gone from a server with mysql 4.0.x to a server with mysql 4.1.x with the wrong default character set.
                  How do you change the default character set, then? Which is "the right one"?

I just switched from LINUX to Windows2003 and am having the same problem.

Comment

Yes, I'd still like to know this, mine are still corrupted. What character set should the server be using so I can request it?
                    Rad Craig,
                    Induction Concepts, Inc.

Comment

There is a corruption problem with shell backups for vB 3.0.x made with the mysqldump from MySQL 4.1.x. To fix this problem, run these queries on the db prior to making the backup:

ALTER TABLE attachment CHANGE filedata filedata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL, CHANGE thumbnail thumbnail MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL;

ALTER TABLE customavatar CHANGE avatardata avatardata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL''

ALTER TABLE customprofilepic CHANGE profilepicdata profilepicdata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL;

We found that a character set issue in MySQL 4.1.x is at fault. Converting these fields to mediumblob fixes the problem.

This is not an issue with vB 3.5.0 because these fields are already set this way.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

EXACTLY what I needed! Thanks Steve, I had corrupted avatar images after a server move too, this fixed it. Whew!!!
                        http://www.yorkietalk.com

Comment

do u mean that by changing the above only the images and all other attachemtns will automatically heal? Or this is for now on?

Comment

No. As the post states you need to 'run these queries on the db prior to making the backup'.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I seem to be having the same problem with a database I moved to a new server.

Do I need to run this SQL script before every backup if I want to use these backups to upgrade to 3.5.1? Won't running this once fix the problem?

Comment