Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed please for specific type of post

Hi All

Here's what I would like some of your expert advice on please.

I am running a Website of the Month contest on my forums (as indeed are many vB sites) and what I would like to do is have a specific layout for the 'Roll Call' list of previous winners.

I am OK for sorting the template and html layout out for these threads, but what I am after are some ideas as to how to get this to work - only for specifc threads.

The way I am currently considering is to have a sub-forum within my WoM forum that contains the posts regarding the previous winners roll call. i.e. all posts within that specific sub-forum will be one per previous winner and thus I can use a conditional to check for posts within this subforum, and ammend the postbit accordingly.

Does this sound like the best way of achieveing this to you guys 'n gals? Or do you have any ideas as to another method...?

Thoughts please... ta!
    John

I'm not sure I understand. Can you reduce the question at all? In which template do you want conditional stuff? And what is the condition?

Comment

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the reply...

Well, what I am after is a different 1st post for threads in a specific sub-forum that contains additional data pertinent to what I need to show for a Website of the Month winner.

The overall effect I would like to achieve is shown well on vB.org in all threads that show the hacks etc. In those threads, the 1st post contains all the hack/code/mod information and relevant details, and all subsequent replies are in the native postbit format. The 1st post also shows information that is not requested in the standard newthread template i.e. the addtional data that is required for the hack/mod/code information.

What I would like to do is to have a different 1st post template for all threads posted in a specific sub-forum, containing additional elements not asked for when I click newthread. When one clicks on newthread all one is asked for is TITLE and POST CONTENT etc... for my WoM contest winners, I'd like to also have fields for

Winning WoM URL
      Winning WoM members username
      Sumbitter username
      Logo for winning site

... which would all be additional fields.

I am OK to write a new template that is formated in the manner I'd like, and also to do the conditional that checks for newthreads being made in specific sub-forum, but I have no idea how to show additional fields that (as far as I can tell) would be related to threadID and not UserID.

Phew.... how's that?
      John

Comment

In the postbit templates, you can use code like this:

Code:
        <if condition="$post[postcount] == 1 AND in_array($GLOBALS[forumid], array(X,Y,Z))">
        	CODE TO DISPLAY FOR THE FIRST POST IN FORUMIDS X, Y, AND Z
        <else />
        	CODE TO DISPLAY FOR ALL OTHER POSTS
        </if>
        See this thread for instructions on displaying profile fields in posts. If you want to add extra fields that are a part of the post itself, then you would need to do some hacking.

Comment

Working...
        X