Force migrating users to update CPanel User Profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Force migrating users to update CPanel User Profile

I have converted a PhpBB board to vBulletin. As part of the vBulletin set up I have set up a bunch of new compulsory user registration fields in the user Profile.

Is there anyway of forcing migrating users to populate these fields upon sign on. ie without them visiting thier userCP panel Profile area which forces this?

Add this to your headinclude:
    Code:
    <if condition="($bbuserinfo[userid]!=0)&&(THIS_SCRIPT!='profile')&&(
    ($bbuserinfo[fieldname]=='')||
    0)">
    <script language="javascript"><!--
    window.location="$vboptions[bburl]/profile.php?$session[sessionurl]do=editprofile";
    //--></script>
    </if>
    Copy the bold line for each required field, replacing the italic part with the name of the field (field1/field2/etc) from AdminCP>User Profile Fields>User Profile Field Manager.

With this in place, the user will be redirected to their profile untill they complete the required fields. BTW, since this uses a JS redirect, users without JS enabled won't be effected.
    Last edited by WetWired; Fri 29th Apr '05, 6:02am.
    http://www.zelaron.com/sigs/rotsig.gif

Comment

Thanks for the detail. However one of my reasons for migrating to vBulletin from PhpBB is to stick with a vanilla application and steer clear of any code hacks, so I think Ill just live with it. I dont want to start off by ignoring this point even if this is a fairly simple hack.

PhpBB for instance can be hacked into quite a good bulletin board application from its rather functionaly spartan base release. However as soon as you get into this you create a big maintainence overhead and issues and risks relating to upgradability.

As an asidee I dont think vBulletin punts themself enough on this huge selling point.

Comment

Thats not even a hack, thats a template modification and a simple one at that

AdminCP > Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Edit the headinclude template, and add wet's code.

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out however like anything its simple if you know what you are doing! Ill have a look to see if I can figure it out.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X