Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup via SSH Question

Hey everyone,

Ok, I've always backed up my forums using phpMyAdmin, but I wanted to try backing up my forums through a different way, and I saw in the manual that I could backup via SSH using PuTTy.

Ok, so I followed the instructions, but when I went to check where I told it to save the SQL file, there was nothing. I've done it a few times but it never appeared. I assume the process went through since it asked for my password and it had no other messages afterwards...

Any suggestions on how I could actually have a file appear when I attempt to backup?

TIA.
    Technology Reporter at the DailyGadget; Webmaster of PalmForums.org.

Try creating the backup in your current directory instead of specifying a path.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi,

Try;

cd /home/user/domain.com/www/
      mysqldump --add-drop-tables -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD database_name > forum.sql

..and then to backup the files;

tar -cvvf forum.tar *

To decompress the backup;

tar -xof forum.tar

You need to really be in the directory for it to work best (its totally possible to write a .sh script to do this too, which means it can easily be run via one crontab too).

Hope that helps.

Andy

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X