Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database Transfer without Telnet and/or SSH

I found the following in my support knowledgebase at ipowerweb:

With the EXCEPTION of the Virtual Server Plan or a Dedicated Server, at this time, we do not provide telnet access or SSH to your files. You may, however, use telnet to connect to port 110 (incoming mail) and port 25 (outgoing mail). You will not be able to access files using telnet or SSH on our shared hosting plans. SSH is telnet-like and lacks the security issues that plague telnet.

Is there another way?

The only reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because backing up with a PHP script like that in the Admin CP or phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeouts errors and an incomplete backup file.

Here are the phpMyAdmin instructions, which may or may nnot work.

Backup with phpMyAdmin:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...myadmin_backup

Restore with phpMyAdmin:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...yadmin_restore
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

On ipowerweb, you can set up cron jobs, which means you should be able to write a cron job. Create a text file and name it vBackup.job.

Put this in the file, changing USERNAME, PASSWORD, and DBNAME to the correct values:

mysqldump --opt -quick -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD USERNAME_DBNAME > /public_html/vb3backup.sql

Upload this file to your website and then use the iPowerWeb vDeck control panel under Settings and tell it where you've saved this Cron job and tell it to run it.
      Last edited by feldon23; Wed 27th Apr '05, 11:51am.

Comment

mysqldump: not found
        /home/orangema/public_html/cronjob/vBackup.job:cannot create
        /public_html/vb3backup.sql: directory nonexistent

Comment

Change the path /public_html/vb3backup.sql in the mysqldump command to the correct absolute path, so command becomes

mysqldump --opt -quick -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD USERNAME_DBNAME > /home/orangema/public_html/vb3backup.sql

Comment

mysqldump: not found

Comment

Then your account is so crippled that you won't be able to create a reliable forum backup. You're going to have to ask ipowerweb to backup the database for you.

This is why I won't touch ipowerweb. vDeck (ipowerweb is one of the few/first to use it) seems like 2 guys spent a weekend trying to copy cPanel.

Comment

I got them to create a back-up for me... Thanks for the help!

Comment

Ok... New problem...

I've uploaded the 600+MB file to the following path on the new server:

/var/www/html/backup/orangema_vbulletin.tgz

Except now I'm not sure how I can unzip it into its own database... Is there any way to handle this through phpMyAdmin without worrying about losing anything?

Comment

What format is the backup in? Is it an .sql backup file, or is it the actual db files themselves?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

orangema_vbulletin.tgz

Comment

Yes, thanks. I knew that.

That is a tar'd gzip file. After you untar and gunzip it, what do you have - one .sql backup file, or dozens of individual database files?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Ah... My bad... I actually just loaded it straight to the server. I didn't even unzip it... That was the last thing I had in mind... I'll go ahead and unpack it and see...

Comment

It turns out there are like, 300 MYI, MYD, and FRM files in there...

Comment

Those are the actual database files themselves. You will need to copy these to the correct MySQL directory for your database. You will also need to make sure these files have the appropriate permissions and ownership as per your server. You can look at other db files to see what these requirements are.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X