Profile Picture Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile Picture Problem

If I browse for a picture and upload it as my Profile Picture everything works fine.
    BUT
    If I enter a Profile picture URL I get this error:

Internet Explorer
    Problems with thie Web page might prevent it from being displayed or functioning properly.

Line: 657
    Char: 1
    Error: Object expected
    Code: 0
    URL: .../profile.php3?do=editprofilepic

It will not let me use a URL to disply a pic.
    I'm running vB 3.0.7 with no mods.

Correct. Working as designed.

Comment

As profile pics can have a URL, try re-uploading profile.php in ASCII mode.
      Lats...

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Olson
        Correct. Working as designed.
        I don't understand. Why have the feature if it's designed not to work.

Comment

Avatars are physically stored in the database. You cannot have an EXTERNAL reference to an image.

Comment

Avatars are physically stored in the database. You cannot have an EXTERNAL reference to an image.
            Very good, that's correct, but we're talking about profile pictures here
            Lats...

Comment

Actually, avatars can now be stored outside the database (Avatars>>Avatars Storage Type), as well as attachments and CSS. It can physically be called like any other file if stored outside the database. And from what I've seen, a person can call avatars directly from the database from an URL (which uses the image.php file).

There was a long discussion here awhile back about the logic in storing images in the database (which it's not designed to do), and it's efficiency to do so. Folks started requesting seperation of binary files from the database for that reason and remote storage (on another server) for images, thus we now have the option of external file type storage.

Chris
              "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
              is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
              ~~~
              Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

How can one who had avatars in the database move to external after oh... 30,000 users have already done it already?

is it safe to migrate to external? also is there a increse in speed?

Comment

I'm talking about PROFILE PICTURES.

Comment

If you have not installed any hacks (which includes portals), fill out a support ticket at:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/mem...ontactform.php

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X