Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub forums and moderators

Hi,

I have asked this question before but could not find it in the search.
    If I create a private, password protected sub forum with its own categories can I appoint another Moderator who can decide who joins that forum and also give the Moderator the ability to look after that forum but without me having to give them access to the full admincp control panel ?

Hope that makes sense,

Mick

To explain further,

I want the moderator to receive the emails from 'users awaiting approval' for that specific forum and allow the moderator to delete posts, ban users and post announcements, but only within that specific sub forum and nowhere else.

Mick

Comment

There is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks Steve,

I have asked the question on the other Forum and im not sure it can be done, also I dont really like the idea of modifying the code anyway.

Am I correct to assume that I can do the following:

1: Set up a password protected sub forum with categories and approve a moderator for simple tasks like editing/ deleting posts.

2: Dont allow that moderator to do anything outside of their sub forum.

3: Users of password protected sub forums will not be able to view or post anywhere else except the sub forum they are given a password to.

Obviously this is all on the basis that I will have to receive, approve and activate the initial joining request. Im sure this is possible, its just taxing my brain a little

Regards

Mick

Comment

1-2. Yes you can do this with the standard Mod and forum permissions available to you.

3. As long as these forums have separate passwords, this should work.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Im now up and running at last

Im testing the private sub forum method above - type the url of specific sub forum, enter password and then log in if I want to post.

I assume this is the quickest and easiest way to do this ? Reason im asking is because some users may not want to have to enter 2 passwords so that they can eventually post in their sub forum but I dont think there is an easier way to achieve my goal ?

The kind of people who will be using these sub forums will probably be 'nubes' and definitely not 'net savvy', I want to make their sub forums secure from others prying eyes but do not want to make the whole process really confusing.

The bottom line is that it has to be simple yet secure.

Cheers

Mick
            Last edited by newvbuser; Sat 23 Apr '05, 12:18pm.

Comment

Working...
            X