Database Backup???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database Backup???

Somehow, a category was deleted......a very important category.

How can I import or is there anyway to to get it back?

Please..someone one help me out on this.....

It's possible but it won't be very easy. What I suggest you do is restore the backup to a new db, then install a test vB pointing to that database. You can then delete all the forums, posts and threads you don't want, and use the Impex importer to import the remaining forum, threads and posts to your live vB.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thank you

Wonderfully my hosting service does backups, eve to a few days ago as well. There were able to send me a zip file which contains the deleted "Category" sub-category, posts and threads.

I wanted to ask one more time before I try to do this alone without asking for advice one more time. (I do not want to make any mistakes).

E-mail from my hosting company.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The attached zip contains the SQL to reinstate your missing forums and the threads/posts which are in them. If you unzip it to your local machine you should be able to use phpMyAdmin to run the SQL against your forum database (after you have taken a backup ;-) ).

I would suggest that you close the forums whilst doing this as once you have run the SQL you will need to perform two admin tasks. The first is to "Rebuild Forum Information" from the "Update Counters" section of "Import & Maintenance" in your admincp. The second is to run "Rebuild Search Index", from the same place, after emptying the indexes.

Please note that this will not reinstate any polls or attachments.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Could someone help me walk through this, I have never preformed this taks in VB before, or PHPmyAdmin.

Thank you!!!

Comment

That was nice of your host, but I thought you wanted a particular forum restored. I suggest you get more information from them about exactly what this file contains and what it will do.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Yes, I am glad after all these years I found a great host. The zip file contains a category and all the sub-categories that was accidently deleted by one of our admins. The directions I have to import this is above, but I am un-sure how to do so.

Should I ask them any specific questions.

Thank you kindly!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          NSERT INTO forum VALUES('400','0','Mind Your Yourself!','Fashion, Make-Up, Beauty to help you mind yourself! \"Got Curve\" and Weddings. Skin care to what to wear!','1','0','0','','0','30','','','205','400,205,204,-1','','0','','','0','90051','400,206,287,362,377,416,513,528,529,530,531,532,533,534,535,5 36,537,541,542,-1');
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Comment

You can run this in the SQL tab in phpMyAdmin. Depending on your version you should see a 'Browse' link to find the file on your PC and upload it.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Oh, Ok, so if I upload that file, it should work? Do I need to shut anything down, off, I can log in to PHPmyadmin through my cpanel.

Thank you again for your help!

Comment

You can turn off your forums first, but it shou;dn'tmake a big difference.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X