Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

security ... a guy logged in under my nick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• security ... a guy logged in under my nick?

hi,
    we use vB 307.
    Some times I noticed that: a thread I never read, has not BOLD text! it meant someone logged in my nick and already read that thread!

Have I truth or not?

Is there a way to prevent it or at least alert me about that? I always logging in vB from 1 PC with remebering password. If a guy logged in via my nick from another PC, the vB system has to ask me my password again?

thx for comments.

I don't believe this is a true statement.

The bold text would highlight threads that you have 'not read' during that session only.
    If you log out, leave the computer for awhile, or mark all threads read, they will not display in bold.

Bold is when you log in and it highlights the newer threads during that time period.

Comment

What Indiamike said is true.

Comment

thx guys. So BOLD text applies only for one session.

Plz tell me more for the second question:

"I always logging in vB from 1 PC with remebering password. If a guy logged in via my nick from another PC, the vB system has to ask me my password again?"

thx.

Comment

No.

Comment

If you're worried about your account being used by someone else, change your password.

As for bold - your session expires after 15 minutes of inactivity (no clicks back to the server). That means if you spend 15 minutes reading a thread, or writing a reply, or you load the front page and go to the john for 15 minutes, your session times out and all posts appear as having been read from the point of your last click.

Comment

This will depends on did u use the Remember Me option when u login,
              did u have sufficient space for ur computer IE set for containing the cache and cookie. Even u have use remember me option, but ur cookie was over-write, when u clear cache or u visit so many site with so many login that u set cookie to, it will just be deleted w/o u needing to log out.

As for the session, there a way u can extend the session, check setting and play ard.

Last thing as chaeberle mention, change password occasionally to precent hacked.

Comment

about bold text:
                Originally posted by chaeberle
                As for bold - your session expires after 15 minutes of inactivity (no clicks back to the server).
                Is there a way to change default value of 15 minutes?

about security: I need such feature in vB:
                even user turn-on "remember me" when logging in vB, the system always ask him AGAIN for his username/pw if he is at another PC.

(ok, if my english is too bad, i try to write it in another way: the user logs in vB at PC_A and selectes "remember me" option, read some threads. Next he goes to PC_B, logs in with "remember me" option again, does some things with vB forum. Then he comes back to PC_A, *NOW* I need vB to ask him for his username/password for security reason!)

Thx for your comments.

Comment

sandman -I don't think that's possible. But you can ask over at: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Olson
                    sandman -I don't think that's possible. But you can ask over at: www.vbulletin.org
                    hi,
                    I think this security feature is built in on ASP based forum, free soft forum, version 7.9

So why we have not such feature in vB? we paid for vB. Isnt it?

Maybe vB must count cookie session from IP address too? Maybe this feature is somewhere in admin panel, but I dont see it.

Any one from vB staff reading this thread?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X