Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get past the first screen on install

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can't get past the first screen on install

    Windows 2000 server with IIS5.0, PHP 5 and Mysql ver 14.7 distrib 4.1.10 appear to be installed.

    Edited the config file and moved everything to my server.

    I run the install.php and it asks for my customer #. I type that in and it goes to the famous The page cannot be found screen in the browser and that is it.

    I run my own server and everything appears to be setup and file access looks good.

    What am I overlooking?

    In the config.php is says something about the $dbname and my hosting company to create. Since I am my own hosting company do I need to do something in the MYSQL to create a database? If so how do I go about this?

    I am getting very discouraged with this entire setup. Nothing appears to be point a click.


    Todd

  • #2
    Are you installing in the web root directory?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

    Steve Machol Photography


    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Todd Wilson
      Windows 2000 server with IIS5.0, PHP 5 and Mysql ver 14.7 distrib 4.1.10 appear to be installed.

      Edited the config file and moved everything to my server.

      I run the install.php and it asks for my customer #. I type that in and it goes to the famous The page cannot be found screen in the browser and that is it.

      I run my own server and everything appears to be setup and file access looks good.

      What am I overlooking?

      In the config.php is says something about the $dbname and my hosting company to create. Since I am my own hosting company do I need to do something in the MYSQL to create a database? If so how do I go about this?

      I am getting very discouraged with this entire setup. Nothing appears to be point a click.


      Todd
      Can you successfuly run the phpinfo()? I think the second page is where vb try to see if you have a mysql database.

      You will need to create an empty database prior to setup your forum
      Family means No One Gets Left Behind
      or.. Forgotten

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Steve Machol
        Are you installing in the web root directory?


        I created a directory called forums in the directory that holds my web site. I put the contents of UPLOAD in the new forums directory.




        Todd

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by stitch
          Can you successfuly run the phpinfo()? I think the second page is where vb try to see if you have a mysql database.

          You will need to create an empty database prior to setup your forum


          I am completely new to PHP and MySql so bare with me.

          What is phpinfo() ?Where is it located? I do not find it in the php directory.



          In the mysql Command line client I did make a "forums" data base and it shows it in the database listing.


          Todd

          Comment


          • #6
            Put this file under your forum or root directory and excute it

            http://www.yourdomain.com/myinfo.php

            or

            http://www.yourdomain.com/forums/myinfo.php

            and check to see if you have mysql loaded.
            Attached Files
            Family means No One Gets Left Behind
            or.. Forgotten

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by stitch
              Put this file under your forum or root directory and excute it

              http://www.yourdomain.com/myinfo.php

              or

              http://www.yourdomain.com/forums/myinfo.php

              and check to see if you have mysql loaded.


              I do not find a myinfo.php anywhere on the server?!?!


              Todd

              Comment


              • #8
                Uhmm download the file that I attached myinfo.php and save it under your forum root or iis root
                Family means No One Gets Left Behind
                or.. Forgotten

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by stitch
                  Uhmm download the file that I attached myinfo.php and save it under your forum root or iis root


                  I just did that and it shows a nice screen with lots of info about my PHP. I would assume PHP is working then? Since I see this screen and the VB screen.



                  Todd

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Can you give us a link ?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Zachery
                      Can you give us a link ?


                      http://www.chargerfever.com/myinfo.php


                      I suspect its a MYSQL problem. I have never used MYSQL so if someone has some step by step info with it and windows 2000 maybe I can look into this area a little more.


                      Todd

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I had this problem

                        You need to set up the database access correctly including the connection string selection. Do you know the username and password to connect to your database (dont say it here) - if you know the database access details this should be easy to get up and running

                        "GM"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Okie

                          I speculate that it has something to do with cgi. Can you switch to ASPI?
                          Family means No One Gets Left Behind
                          or.. Forgotten

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by GreeceMonkey
                            You need to set up the database access correctly including the connection string selection. Do you know the username and password to connect to your database (dont say it here) - if you know the database access details this should be easy to get up and running

                            "GM"


                            Yes I know the username and password. I THINK i created them in MYSQL but not 100% sure. I do know the database exists. You might run me thru details on how to do this and the connection string????


                            Todd

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by stitch
                              Okie

                              I speculate that it has something to do with cgi. Can you switch to ASPI?



                              I can. I have added .php to the isapi in my IIS with out any luck. I thought I read somewhere VB liked the cgi setup better.


                              To do this I would replace the php_cgi.exe with the php5isapi.dll? Is this
                              correct?

                              Do you really think its PHP related not MYSQL related?




                              Todd

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X