phpbb2 to vB3 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phpbb2 to vB3 Question

Okay, first of all, hi! I'm a newbie here and after years and years of using phpbb, I am now a license holder for vB3! I totally do NOT hate phpbb, but it's just not as basically functional as vB3, so I took the financial plunge for the benefits here. So...

Here is my question, but first let me preface that I have used the search function and I have learned a lot about importing phpbb to vB3, but I haven't actually done it, yet. I wanted to ask this last question before I do, but I apologize in advance if this is not the appropriate place to ask:

I want to do a clean install of vB3, forcing all of my community to simply re-register and set up new profiles. I know that sucks, but my phpbb is so heavily modded that to do a transfer might be tricky (right?). So what I want to do after the clean install is simply import all of the posts, if possible. Is it possible to only import the posts (I'm not sure what the proper term would be)? Would there be complications because of references to who posted what, when there would not be a member database, yet?

I hope I am making some sense.

Thanks, in advance, everyone!

troy

You can import the posts (you will also need to import the forums), but they will not be tied to any accounts unless you import the users as well.

We recommend trying this out as a test first. I suggest ttrying the complete import. The worse case scenario is that you will need to start over. Please view the online instructions here:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex

And please read the Importing HOWTO thread:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116398
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by CocteauBoy
      Okay, first of all, hi! I'm a newbie here and after years and years of using phpbb, I am now a license holder for vB3! I totally do NOT hate phpbb, but it's just not as basically functional as vB3, so I took the financial plunge for the benefits here. So...

Here is my question, but first let me preface that I have used the search function and I have learned a lot about importing phpbb to vB3, but I haven't actually done it, yet. I wanted to ask this last question before I do, but I apologize in advance if this is not the appropriate place to ask:

I want to do a clean install of vB3, forcing all of my community to simply re-register and set up new profiles. I know that sucks, but my phpbb is so heavily modded that to do a transfer might be tricky (right?). So what I want to do after the clean install is simply import all of the posts, if possible. Is it possible to only import the posts (I'm not sure what the proper term would be)? Would there be complications because of references to who posted what, when there would not be a member database, yet?

I hope I am making some sense.

Thanks, in advance, everyone!

troy
      My phpbb forum was heavily modded but the transfer to vBulletin 3 went smoothly and i moved everything over,so a transfer would not be that tricky.

Comment

I am fairly new to VB as well, and made the switch from PHBB2. Because I am so new to VB, I may not be the one to ask, or answer your question, but having just transferred everything from my heavily modded board, I might be able to give you a first hand account.

First - it is the easiest thing in the world to do, I was actually quite amazed - literally, I had everything transferred in about 5 minutes. What I would suggest, is set up a test forum, and test it out first and see what it can do. If I were you, I would import the users as well - it did not import all the information that the users had entered in their profile, but they could easily update everything themselves the next time they log in. But, for the most part I didnt have to do much work, it's nice to not have to do so much work for a change!

Another helpful thing - once you have actually made the transfer, make sure to go into the ACP - go to import and maintanence, then update counters, and make sure to rebuild the threads and such, atleast I had to in order for everything to show properly, but it is still extremely easy.

If you don't import your users, I am not certain what would happen, but I assume you may be able to associate users after the fact, so the ussers post count and everything reflects correctly. Perhaps someone else should answer that question, I am uncertain what would happen.

hopefully I am of some help.
        Christopher

Comment

Working...
        X