long threads (replies) and archiving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long threads (replies) and archiving

I have been going through my forum and seeing how many longthreads may be causing (or at least contributing) to my server issues. There are a lot of the "Who gets the last word in" or "what areyou currently listening to" threads. Many are over 5-10,000 replies.

My question is, I know these cause the server to chug a lot more. I have my timeout setting at 25 seconds. If person's browser times out, does the search/view processing of that thread continue on and still causes the server to work too much?

Secondly, I keep reading about archiving threads and them starting a new one. I can't find much in the manual about this. When the term "archive" is used is it referring to the search engine page (called archive right?). Can someone direct me to somewhere that talks about archiving methods etc. more in depth please?
    Deron
    www.creationnation.com
    www.ultimatemetal.com

One of the biggest factors in long threads are the number of email notifications that go out with each new post. This alone could have a big impact on the server.

As for an 'archive' you can simply create a new 'archive' forum which is not open to new posts and move these threads there.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I guess the only problem I would have with that archive scenario is I host forums for over 80 bands so moving stuff into there would jumble up all these bands different threads.
      Deron
      www.creationnation.com
      www.ultimatemetal.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X