Can't Display Linked Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Display Linked Images

On certain forums of my board, I cannot get linked images to display. I have gone to the CP and ensured that "Allow [IMG] Code" is set to "yes" for the forums in question. Creating a new post in these forums (with the wysiwyg editor) causes any linked images to dispaly properly in the editing window. However, when I click "Submit New Thread", I am taken to my posted message and the previously displayed image is now just a text hyperlink to that image. Editing the post and manually placing [IMG] tags around the link just causes the text tags to be displayed with the text links.

The above does not happen with all forums on my board. Some older forums display linked images just fine while newer forums seem to have the problem described above. Any help in rectifying this issue would be appreciated.

What's a link to a thread with this problem?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The following post is an example.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...2910#post22910

The image link:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/a...p?postid=11118

was input using the image icon in the WYSIWYG editor and was displayed as an inline image in the editing window. After hitting "Submit Reply" it was changed to the above text link. This post also contans an attached image that displays inline to registered users. I just edited this post again and the same behaviour occured.

Comment

AFAICT that is an attachment - not an [img] code link. And you don't allow guests to view attachmennts. Also you have enable HTML in posts which is a major security risk. I strongly recommend that you disable HTML.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The post in question contains both an attempt at a linked image and an attached image. The attempted linked image was input with [IMG] tags but was converted to the text link below when posted.

This link is to an attached image in another post. However, this link will display in another window even for guests. Thanks for the notice on HTML code. I will change this.

Don
          Last edited by Don McR; Sat 2 Apr '05, 6:02pm.

Comment

Bump!

Comment

You don't allow guests to view this thread:

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

So only images that guests can view can be linked in posts?

Comment

Steve is trying to tell you WE CANNOT SEE THE THREAD.

Untill we can see the thread, we won't be able to help

Comment

The thread I referenced is visible to guests.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/...22910#post22910

However, guests are not allowed to download images. That is why I asked whether guests have to have permission to view images before image linking will work. To be clear, I am not expecting that guests will be able to see the linked images since this would defeat the purpose of the download restriction. However, inline images cannot be placed even for our registered members to see. Instead they get a text link to the image, which when clicked, does display the image on a new page. I would just like to see linked, inline images display for our memebers.

Regards
                    Don

Comment

Sorry for being dense, but could you please try explaining again what exactly you want to happen? Both of the links in that post point to attachments, and guests cannot view attachments.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

You're not at all being dense. I have only recently fully understood the problem after further investigation, subsequent to my initial post. Contrary to my first post in this thread, the problem is not associated with linked images not working in certain forums. Rather it regards the inability to link to images that are an attachement in a previous post.

A number of members of our forum have attempted to link (and display inline) images that either they, or someone else on our forum, has loaded up as an attachment in a previous post. The reason for this was to eliminate the duplication of storing multiple copies of the same image in our database.

The "insert image" button in the WYSISYG editor would insert a image that is a link to an existing attachment on our forum and display it grahically inline in the editing window. However, as soon as the message was posted, the image was converted to a text link and was not displayed inline. Clicking on the text link would open up the image for registered members in a new window. I just want to know if it is possible to have that image display inline for registered members.

From what has been posted to date, I assume that this problem is likely related to the fact that guests do not have permsission to download attachments on our forum. I don't expect that guests should be able to view linked attachements from our forum inline. However, I was hoping there was a way for members to do this.

Regards
                        Don

Comment

I just tested this on my unhacked forum. When you use a link to an attachment, you see the link, not the attachment.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

The problem is that by default vB does not allow the use of the image tag with "dynamic addresses", which generally means addresses with ? and & in them, as this is a security risk. By using a dynamic address as an image link, you cause the browser to automatically load a page whether or not it is an image; for example, you could put up an image tag that forced every member who viewed the thread to ignore a certain user. If you do not care about these security concerns, you can disable the filter at
                            Admin CP|vBulletin Options|Message Posting and Editing Options|Allow Dynamic URL for [IMG] tags
                            Set it to yes and you will be able to use images that are attachments.
                            http://www.zelaron.com/sigs/rotsig.gif

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X