Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WYSIWYG Editor driving me crazy

Hello,

I'm currently using dotnetBB on my business site and love the capability to view a web page, press CTRL-A to select all, then paste the contents into the WYSIWYG editor and it formats properly. On my VB.NET forums I use vB3 and cannot do the same thing, the formatting becomes a mess, and every time you edit the post, spaces are added and it gets worse and worse.

For example, I just wrote a simple newsletter, wanted to copy and paste this into the WYSIWYG editor to post it on the forums. Any suggestions on how best to go about this? It is a formatting nightmare and I hope there is a better way as I'm considering moving my dotnetBB to vB3.
    Neal Culiner
    President, NC Software, Inc.
    Logbook Pro Pilot Flight Logbook Software
    Visual Basic Developer Forums

March 2005 Edition Welcome to the March Edition of the VB.NET Forums Newsletter:

Hello again from the great land of the VB.NET Forums. We are excited to see our membership growing exponentially as we have one of the few resources available strictly for Visual Basic .NET. I want to extend my thanks to some of the top posters that are providing a great service in helping others. We can certainly see the great numbers of computer science students around the world stopping by for a few pointers with their homework, keep in mind students, we are not going to do your homework for you! Please invite your friends to our FREE VB.NET forums resource and share your knowledge on VB.NET. If you are an experienced developer, we need you! Please donate some of your time in helping those out there that were where you stood years ago, trying to learn the exciting world of "making this computer do something useful."
    AbleCommerce Discount Coupons Expire Tomorrow (March 31st):

Time is running out to take advantage on up to 20% discounts on the leading ASP.NET E-Commerce Shopping Cart Solution - AbleCommerce. Visit www.ablecommerce.com and purchase your ASP.NET shopping cart using the coupon codes below before midnight (Pacific) March 31st, that's right, tomorrow! So get on over there and buy now while you can save big! Here are the coupons you'll need to use during your purchase:

• VBNET10 will save 10% off Able's full featured product
    • VBNET20 will save you 20% off on orders over $1500
    • VBNETFREEDEV gets you a Free Development Server License with your AbleCommerce Asp.Net purchase, a $195.00 value
    VB.NET Forums Reviews the RichDatePicker by RicherComponents

Read our "hot off the press" review of the RichDatePicker by RicherComponents. The RichDatePicker is a great replacement for the ASP.NET calendar server control offering significant functionality improvements, client-side manipulation with no post-backs, time picker functionality along with the advanced calendar/date pickers, etc. The RichDatePicker is the perfect solution to a seamless calendar control for any ASP.NET application.

Other Recent Reviews:

Other News in the VB.NET Community

• Data Dynamics Releases Beta 2 of ActiveReports .NET 2 and their new sharpGraph charting control
    • AspDotNetStoreFront announces Multi-Lingual version of their .NET shopping cart
    • Cristal Components announces their new Gagnon-Harper Charting control - a revolutionary charting component for the 21st century.
    • VistaDB 2.0.14 Released
    • 9Rays.NET releases Report Sharp-Shooter 1.9
    • Keep your eyes peeled on the Preemptive Dotfuscator web site for breaking news in the next week! The ultimate .NET Obfuscator!
    *Post your vendor announcements here

Advertise Your Business or Component on the VB.NET Forums

Enjoy maximum exposure at affordable rates with our advertising offerings on the VB.NET Forums. Click here for a rate card.

Comment

Not at all like the source formatting! I did a CTRL-A then CTRL-V right into a dotnetBB message, as seen in the thread below, works perfect!

http://www.merchantapps.com/Forums/?f=25&m=5402
      Neal Culiner

Comment

Yeah... I can see that. I will ask the devs about this.

Comment

Yes, there are some issues with spacing, though the centering is what makes it look the worst.

My guess would be that in dotnetBB you're allowed to HTML. Since in this forum, you're not allowed to use HTML, we have no choice but to translate everything to BB code. That means all the tables are stripped out. That accounts for a lot of the space issues actually.

The centering thing is related -- we see a div that center aligns everything, but since we removed the tables now it applies to the content too (as opposed to the table itself). Paste into a forum with HTML enabled and it will likely look better. (One caveat is our "new line to <br>" code; I'm not sure what that will do to the HTML layout. It's a known "issue", BTW.)

The fundamental problem -- with HTML disabled -- is that BB code markup is limited compared to HTML, so we have to map as much of the layout as we can. That's hardly simple.

Comment

Mike,

Thank you for the reply. Actually the forum I post to only I have access, therefore it allows full capabilities, i.e. HTML. Feel free to give it a shot in a HTML enabled post and see the results.

I also noticed, as stated, every time I would edit, I would see more blank lines getting added below the <HR> and other BR's. And with each PREVIEW, they would continue to grow.

http://www.vbdotnetforums.com/showthread.php?t=2496
            Neal Culiner

Comment

Posting "web pages" inside of HTML allowed posts have been a bit painful. The thread I posted above on the VB.NET forums I probably spent 20+ minutes to get it to at least an acceptable state.

I'm planning to move my dotnetBB to vB3 with my new sites now in progress. However, this issue may stop me as I rely on the "web page inserts" if you will, to archive my newsletters, as seen here:

http://www.nc-software.com/Forums/?f=26

If there was a "file upload" feature where I could select a HTML file and load the source, of course with proper permissions (Admins...), I'm not sure if that would be an alternative. I've seen other WYSIWYG editors allow this feature, I guess for the same reason.
              Neal Culiner

Comment

neal007,

If you are just posting newsletters to a particular forum and do not allow others to post in it; simply turn on HTML posting for that forum. Then it should work exactly the same way it does on the other forum.
                Christopher Padfield
                Web Based Helpdesk
                DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                  neal007,

If you are just posting newsletters to a particular forum and do not allow others to post in it; simply turn on HTML posting for that forum. Then it should work exactly the same way it does on the other forum.
                  That's what I'm saying. HTML **IS** allowed but the results are not good! Give it a try!
                  Neal Culiner

Comment

Wow more tha a year later and it's still hasn't been fixed in version 3.6!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X