Are both these backups ok ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are both these backups ok ?

I've just been experimenting with some backup options. Given that I can't use telnet/ssh then I'm stuck with either vb's backup or phpMyAdmin. I just backed up using both methods but when I compare the SQL I can see some subtle differences. For example, the vb backup contains:

INSERT INTO word VALUES('1', 'test');

whereas the phpMyAdmin looks like:

INSERT INTO `word` VALUES (1, 'test');

The table definitions look the same.

My questions are:

1) Should I worry about this ?
    2) Are both these methods susceptible to the same php timeout problem ?
    3) If my vb export contains the 'dump completed' message, can I assume that it is ok ?

Thanks.

Originally posted by ricster
    1) Should I worry about this ?

No - those are two different representations of an integer. The column being populated is an int, and mysql will convert the '1' to an int automatically.
    2) Are both these methods susceptible to the same php timeout problem ?
    The auto conversion of '1' to 1 might be a LITTLE slower, but both can time out.

3) If my vb export contains the 'dump completed' message, can I assume that it is ok ?
    Probably.

Trust but verify.

Comment

OK - thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

Just to verify...if I were to experience a php timeout during a backup, would I get some kind of error message ? If so, where would I find it ?

Comment

No, you will not necessarily get an error message. It will just end and you will not know if it is complete or not.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

So the 'dump completed' message could appear even on a backup that had timed out ?

Comment

It's possible. To cceck if it's complete, look at the last few lines of the backup file. If it is inserting data into the word table, then it is most likely complete.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Ok, the 'word' table seems to be second-to-last. 'Postindex' is the last entry. All seems ok. Is there anything in this file that I could search for that would indicate an error had occurred. Sorry for all the questions but I need to establish whether I can be confident about the integrity of the backups I'm getting. To go the next step and get ssh access from my host is going to cost me more money.

Comment

The word table should be the last one since this is supposed to backup the tables in alphabetical order. In this case I cannot guarantee this backup is complete.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Steve - postindex is definitely the last. I'm not sure it's alphabetical. They seem to be in the order of appearance in the admin cp. That list of radio buttons ends in usertitle, word, postindex (oddly enough) and that matches my dump. After postindex I get:

### VBULLETIN DATABASE DUMP COMPLETED ###

Comment

Okay. Then maybe it is complete.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X