Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Categories Hierarchies/Categories Problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Categories Hierarchies/Categories Problems.

OK, I give up, so I'm asking the support guys ...

We've just moved from a phpBB 2.0.13 forum that had one of the best MODs ever written for phpBB installed on it, Categories Hierarchies 2.1.0.

I want to make the Category > Forums and my Category > Forums > Subcategories > Subforums look and display like they did in phpBB 2.0.13 w/ that MOD.

Here's what it's supposed to look like: www.saxontheweb.net/sotwforum (our old phpBB forum).

I've tried the suggestions in http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134253 and
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110454

... It just doesn't come out right -- there are additional lines that say "forum" and there are forums everywhere. I tried building a category and then slapping a forum under it. It looks the same as it did without the changes suggested in the above threads.

I'm using a brand-new install of vBulletin 3.07 and have just imported the data from phpBB, so I haven't made any modifications to the vBulletin forum or added any new templates.

RSVP and thanks!

Try this:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Forum Listings Display Options ->
    - Depth of Forums - Forum Home -> 2
    - Depth of Forums - Forum Display -> 2
    - Depth of Sub-Forums -> 1
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thank you. Not exactly it, but it's definitely closer. Let me play with it a bit and see what I can come up with.

Is there a way to get rid of the "Sub-Forums:" text?

Comment

All language is in Phrases. Do a 'Search in Phrases' for the specific language you are looking for, then edit the appropriate Phrase (which should be subforums.)

Admin CP -> Languages & Phrases -> Search in Phrases

Note: To edit a phrase, place the new phrase in the available language text boxes.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Well, I found a match. However, I can't edit the phrase. From the help file:

On this screen you can edit an existing phrase for use in the templates. You cannot change the variablename or text to insert; you can only change the translations of the phrase.
          Indeed, it just comes up with the window that says Translation (Optional):

So, yah, I think I found it, but I can't find a way to change it.

===============

I'm still experimenting with the Categories/Forums thing. It does appear that, to use the fix you mention, if I want everything look like my phpBB forum, I have to set up my phpBB categories as forums and then set these forums so no one can post to them.

Better solution available? It kinda means that the "Category" definition doesn't mean much ...

Comment

Oh. Going back a bit, that categories thing IS a problem.

* If I set up my phpBB categories as forums in vBulletin, it comes up with the error "there are no posts in this forum" -- the error is correct; there aren't supposted to be any posts there.

If I have a category on my phpBB forum, like "Forum General Information", I don't have any threads in it -- I have subforums, like "Suggestion Box" and the posts are ONLY in the subforums.

* If I set up my phpBB categories as forums in vBulletin, it displays an error, "there have been no posts in 30 days". Yah, I can turn this off, but it's annoying to have to do so.

In other words, I think a better solution would be if I can change my phpBB categories to vBulletin categories and keep my phpBB forums as forums, but I can't figure out a way to do this and make everything look the same.

Comment

Not sure I understand. Why would you change your phpBB categories to forums in vB?

To make something a category:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Manager -> Edit Forum -> Act as forum? -> No

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Again, the phpBB forum: www.saxontheweb.net/sotwforum
                The vBulletin version: www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin

Look at the vBulletin side. There's a new category at the bottom called "Testing" then there's a Forum in it called "Testing Child". Associated with is is a sub-forum called "'testing child' child"

I don't want to see "'Testing Child' Child" on the forum index. Ever. Nor should I see "Testing Child" on the index 'lying loose'. I want to see a category that says "Testing" and have it say under that "sub-forums: Testing Child" (tabling the topic of removing the text, "sub-forums").

Bottom line: I'm trying to make everything look like www.saxontheweb.net/sotwforum. The only way I can even approach that with vBulletin is to make all my categories into forums and then I have the problems mentioned above.

As said, suggestions appreciated!

Comment

I coudn't find the equivalent to this 'testing' example on your phpBB forum. Where is it?

Note also that the only built-in option to control this are what I posted in post #2. If it can't be done with those controls, thenn this will either require editing the templates with conditionals, or modifying the code.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    I coudn't find the equivalent to this 'testing' example on your phpBB forum. Where is it?
                    Way at the bottom of the vBulletin forum.

I see that it can be done: I Googled quite a bit to try to find a solution to this and found a vBulletin forum at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/index.php? that has something similar to what I want. Scroll down to the area that says "Sci-Fi / Fantasy". You'll see that it's a category that just has subforums in it. That's what I'm looking for.

If it can't be done with those controls, thenn this will either require editing the templates with conditionals, or modifying the code.
                    All righty. Where can I get a manual on how to do this? What code would need to be altered?

Comment

Hey, I just realized YOU have what I want, too!

Scroll down on this forum's index. The archive section. How'd y'all do that??

Comment

On this page:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/index.php?

The category 'Interaction' is a child of the 'Shop' category.

The same goes for the 'Achive' category here. It has 'vBulletin.com Web site' set as it's parent.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X