No announcement yet.

urls not parsing

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • urls not parsing

    After a vb2->vb3 upgrade, urls are not parsing on my board. They appear as regular text. Surely this is something very basic that I've missed, but I can't find the setting that would affect this.

    "Automatically parse links in text" is checked on the posting screen.
    "Links" are checked in enabled built-in BB codes in admin options.

    If I explicitly enter the [url] tags, then the link text is converted into a link. However, it's not being done by default.

    What's the next step to take to troubleshoot this?

  • #2
    Any ideas on this?

    My other thread here also has 0 replies. If I've posted improperly, or forgotten something obvious, please let me know so that I can correct it.


    • #3
      How about providing a link to your board, as well as a test username/password, and we can take a look-see...


      • #4
        The first thing I recommend is that you reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server.

        Next, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Then change to this style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

        Steve Machol Photography

        Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


        • #5
          Thanks guys -- not complaining, I know it's very busy around here right now, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

          Dennis -- I've updated my profile with my homepage. Here is a test username/password: vbtest/vbtestx . Let me know if I can provide any other info.

          Steve -- Re-uploading the files was one of the first things I tried, I know it's the initial recommendation around here. I've just created a new style with no parent, and the problem DOES NOT occur with the new style! This points to a template issue on my end, which could also explain this other problem: Thanks again, I will look further into my templates to try to locate the source of the problem.


          • #6
            I'll take a look when I get home later this afternoon.


            • #7
              Got it!

              I had inserted another form into my newthread and newreply templates. The form is for a spellchecker. The spellchecker had always worked perfectly in vb2, but it looks like it's screwing up the main posting form in the newthread and newreply screens in vb3. This would certainly explain some other problems I've been having, like sigs not showing, and email notifications not occurring. In fact, nearly all of the "Additional Options" have been problematic -- this is probably why. Thanks Steve, I will get into the habit of using the default no-parent template for troubleshooting.

              How can I insert another form into my newthread or newreply templates, such that the "submit" button for the second form appears next to the "Preview Post" button? I've tried nesting the second form within the first, and I've tried closing the first form, and re-opening it after the second form. Is this possible -- a form within a form? I'm trying to make it look like the image in the attachment to this post.

              (The addition of the spellchecker form involves a template modification, not a file hack -- my files are originals. Nevertheless, please let me know if this should be posted on, and not here.)
              Attached Files


              • #8
                Finally figured this one out . I still haven't tested it on every common browser, but it's turning out well so far. To place a second form within the posting form, I used a javascript submit button in the nested form. And, I put the {form} tags for the nested form AFTER the first form had closed. So, it went like this:

                {open first form}
                {input tags for first form}
                {input tag for javascript submit button for second form}
                {additional input tags for first form}
                {close first form}
                {open second form}
                {close second form}

                Certainly not a "clean" solution, but it seems to be working fine so far.


                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.