MySQL version not compatible with VB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MySQL version not compatible with VB?

Hi, I just got hosted with the company that has satisfactorily provided my DSL service for over a year. Two days later I bought Vbulletin v3.07. I have not been able to get it installed- and just found out today that they are running version 3.23.58 of MYSQL and I understand the requirements are version 4 or better, is that correct? In that case, I have asked if they can upgrade- it's free, right? and they said they "don't normally do that" but I have to wait 24 hours for them to decide if they'll do it or not.

My question is- is this unreasonable on their part? What options do I have? I paid set up fees for all of this, and it would be a waste to have to change hosts. Any info would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

vB will run with that version of MySQL. However I would seriously doubt the competence and commitment of a host that runs that old a version of MySQL and has to be cajoled to upgrade. There really is no excuse for this.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thank you Steve. I was thinking along the same lines. I don't know what to do now, I can't get vB to install anyway, I keep getting that message telling me that something is wrong in my config.php file and I have gone over it with several tech people. This is so frustrating.

Comment

What's the exact error message?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

It's that one that I see posted all the time here, but I can't seem to find it again... the one that says "Cannot connect to database because you don't have permission, check your config.php files" in big red letters.

And I received a call back from my host- they are not planning on upgrading until "later this year". How ridiculous! Hopefully, I won't have to go through this when I get a new host- because honestly- I am doubtful that they even gave me the right information because their answers changed several times! *sigh*

Comment

If it were me, I'd get away from that host as fast as I could.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Hi Steve-
              Just wanted to let you know that I did as you suggested and got a new host- uploaded vbulletin with NO problems and everything is working great! Thanks so much for your help!

Comment