Filtering domains that are not in the "banned" list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtering domains that are not in the "banned" list

I've had a number of users complain that they were not able to register because they were blocked for using a domain that's in the banned email list. This particular instance involved fedex.com, and it's not in our Banned Email Addresses list. There's not anything even remotely resembling "fed," "fedex" or "fedex.com" in our list. This has happened quite a few times with other random domains. I searched the list each time, being careful to search every logical iteration, and still no solution. I even searched for double spaces, special characters in the wrong places, etc. Nothing.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by RC Nitro; Wed 23 Mar '05, 6:26pm.
    10 Years as a vBulletin Abuser

Try duplicating the error. Register a "test user", and use the email domain they specified. See what happens. If it goes through, the problem isn't on the server side.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion. I did try it myself to be sure it wasn't some odd user error. I too got the same error.
      Last edited by RC Nitro; Wed 23 Mar '05, 7:13pm.

Comment

The most likely culprit is a hard return in the ban list. Go through everything and make sure every entry is separated by a space and that there are no hard returns.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Wow, my eyes are bloodshot. I checked the whole list and didn't find any double spaces or hard returns. Are there any issues with domains that have unusual urls like;

"x-menfan.com" or "the-big-apple.com" <--- special character
          "winstonsalem.usa.com" or "toffeemail.co.uk" <--- double "dots" (periods) in URL
          "yahoo.ca" or "yahoo.es" or "yahoo.fr" <---- domains that don't end in the typical, .com, .net, .org, etc.

I'm at a loss on this one.

Comment

did u by chance add all those free emails thats on someones signature here? forget who
            if you did, thats ur most likely culprit
            that list need a bit of tidying up as it has some errors and causes some weird denials from certain domains

Comment

Make a backup of your ban linst, then temporarily remove everything in it. Then try regaistering again. If it works, then the problem is in your ban list.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Just an FYI - I was having an issue with new members with gmail.com addresses not being able to register, despite that domain not being in the banned list.

But I did have mail.com defined as a domain which is banned - I went through the suggestions above without success. But then I changed the definition of mail.com to @mail.com and gmail.com users were then able to successfully register.

Is this the correct behaviour or a bug?

Comment

That's designed behaviour.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X