new threads...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new threads...

Okay, what I need to happen is that when my girls have read through a thread, no matter how they get back to the front page, it shows as read.

well... I need it to work like this site: http://www.scrapbook.com

can anyone help me???
    Last edited by flamyngo; Tue 15 Mar '05, 5:07pm.

The current read marking system requires that you view a thread, then view its forum's forumdisplay page, then view the index page. At this point the forum will be marked as read if its forumdisplay page didn't show any new posts.

An improved read marking system is in the works for a future version.

Comment

okay, now I am having a problem with even if I have done that, and I close my browser, the ones that were showing up as read are coming back up as unread?

Comment

Closing your browser will start a new browser session which will reset the read markers to what they were, unless you are inactive for longer than your session timeout, in which case the read markers will all be cleared.

Comment

so, if I am in my forum, and a bunch of markers are marked read, and I close my browser, but then open it back up what should be happening?

Right now, if they are marked read when I close it, but then I open it back up, the ones that were marked read are now marked unread.
          Last edited by flamyngo; Tue 15 Mar '05, 10:18am.

Comment

Originally posted by flamyngo
            so, if I am in my forum, and a bunch of markers are marked read, and I close my browser, but then open it back up what should be happening?
            If you open your browser within the same forum session (within the cookie timeout of your forum), then it will show unread markers on new threads since your last forum session.

If you open your browser after your forum session has expired, then you will only see unread markers on new threads since you last closed your browser.

Comment

okay, but it is showing unread markers on old threads that have already been read. Why is it doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by flamyngo
                okay, but it is showing unread markers on old threads that have already been read. Why is it doing that?
                Because you are closing your browser, thereby resetting your browser session. Within your forum session, unread markers are tracked through your browser session.

Comment

But it doesn't do this here or at vbulletin.org???

Here, if I leave the board and come back later my threads that I have marked read and still marked read, but at my site it doesn't work that way... why is it working differently here than at my site?

Comment

They should work the same.

What is the URL to your forum? I need to test your forum to see if read markers are working as they should.

Comment

http://www.scraplove.com

Thanks so much!

Comment

Everything seems to be working as it is supposed to.

I posted a thread, loaded the index page, and the forum has an unread marker. I load that forum's forumdisplay page and it becomes marked as read.

I close and relaunch my browser and the unread markers are back because my forum session hadn't yet expired. I click the Mark Forums Read link to reset my forum session, and everything is marked as read.

Comment

but even my users are having the same problem... it isn't happening every time though... should I change the forum session time or something???

http://www.scraplove.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275

Comment

That user is describing the normal behavior. If that person wants to mark all current threads as read, then they need to click the "Mark Forums Read" link under the "Quick Links" menu to manually reset their forum session. Otherwise they need to wait for the session timeout before loading the forum again.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X