mysql db - How do i check its okay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mysql db - How do i check its okay?

I'm waiting on an email to find out if my server allows ssh/telnet access so I can do a proper backup of the database, but for now I'm trying out phpmyadmin just incase we dont have it.

What I want to know is how can I tell if the backup is corrupt or not backed up fully? The file on my hard drive is about 215mb, but I have no idea if that's right or not. In myphp all the tables came to about 130mb, so I'm a bit clueless right now.

Look at the last few lines of the backup file. If they do not mention inserting data into the word table, then the backup is not complete.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I cant seem to open the backup - it sits at a blank notepad screen for ages just loading and loading, but nothing comes up.

Comment

You cannot expect to use NOTEPAD to edit a SQL backup file!

Notepad is (at best) a primitive editor, and cannot handle large files.

Geez....

Comment

I was just letting it open in what it wanted - no need to be a jerk.

Anyways there must have been something wrong with it, I did a backup using SSH and it was about 130mb rather than 215mb junk phpmyadmin threw out.

Comment

Just VI the file on your server and go to the last line.

Comment

The easiest way to test whether a backup is complete is to restore it to a separate database. However, the size of the file is always smaller than the size of the actual database, since the database also has indezes which the backup file doesn't have. If you performed a backup via phpMyAdmin and it didn't time out, the backup is complete.
              Last edited by Icheb; Sat 12 Mar '05, 1:31pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X