I can't backup. :/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't backup. :/

Everytime I try to backup my forums. It will only download half of it. When I check the backup, at the bottom it says:

<b>Fatal error</b>: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in <b>/var/www/sites/activewebhosting.com/phpMyAdmin-2.3.2/libraries/common.lib.php</b> on line <b>240</b><br />

*scratches head*
    I always backed up my forums and never got that error before.

Once your forum reaches a certain size, that will happen (or something similar). At that point, you'll need to backup using a server session or CRON job.

Comment

server session or cron job.
      How would I go about doing that ?

Comment

For a server session, you need Telnet or SSH access directly to your server. Then you can manually initiate a backup without the timeout issue. A CRON job is a script that you write (that has the same commands in it that you would issue from your keyboard - think Macro), which your host can schedule to run automatically at specific times.

Comment

I don't have telnet or SSH. :/
          would it be possible to back up each table one at a time ? would that still cause errors ?

Is there any cron job scripts that I could use ??

Comment

You can download and install phpMyAdmin - it has the option to compress the database before sending it and usually this works. I use this at the moment and my database is over 200mb in size.

If you have a control panel like plesk or cpanel you usually have phpMyAdmin pre-installed.

Yes, you can backup through the admin control panel per table, just click the select all [no] button and only select the table(s) you want to export.

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...ht=backup+cron

Works great, even for large forums. Compression rules.

Only problem might be that you might not want files taking up your server space.

Comment

Also worthy of note, something called phpflashmyadmin, which is a direct replacement for phpmyadmin.

http://www.tufat.com/script7.htm

Since it uses Flash, it doesn't have any timout issues at all. There's even a hack available on vbulletin.org to add an AdminCP menu item to run it through your AdminCP. This program is not free. You have to buy it ($5) and upload it to your server via FTP. (I'd never heard of this program, and I had it up and running on my server in 30 minutes.)

Comment

my host doesn't allow ssh or telnet. they don't allow scheduled tasks either. they don't have cpanel. I tried that vb hack but my host emailed me after saying they don't allow it.

I'm very frustrated. I have a backup saved from previous but it's only 46mbs. the database is now 52mbs. I wanted to save the rest of the data.

now i'm afraid i won't be able to do so. :/

Comment

Will you host allow phpMyAdmin? If not, get a new host ASAP. There are lots of GOOD vB hosts. Folks here can point you in the right direction. (My database is 12 Gb.)

Comment

yes, they allow phpmyadmin. I tried to backup each table one a time. but when i reach the "post" table with the data, it always times out. I tried the admincp panel and I tried it one by one there too and it timed out again once it reached "post".

they are not trying to help the situation either. I told them I am trying to backup my data. they seem to just tell you what you can't do and what you are not allowed doing.

Comment

Buy the phpflashmyadmin that I told you about on my post above ($5). Have the host upload that product to YOUR forum area as specified in the product documentation. If they do that, I can supply you with the code to modify your AdminCP menu to add that product to your Maintenance sub-menu. Since it uses Flash, it does NOT have the PHP timeout issues. Note that it WILL NOT WORK in FF browser...

Comment

Samples of phpflashmyadmin at work:
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Dennis Olson; Tue 8 Mar '05, 10:35am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X