ban IP but allow a single user?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ban IP but allow a single user?

We just had an onslaught of registrations that all originated from the same IP address range (a state university). We've had a user who's been with us for some time who also uses that range of IP addresses. Either he's gone whack or some frat buddies are causing mischief.

So this is the question: can we ban those IP addresses but still allow one particular user?

In the meantime we deleted the annoying user names and things have been quiet, but I don't know if they (he?) will act up again. I'm also looking into installing the Miserable Users Hack.

Thanks
    ;>p

There is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. You can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks Steve,

It was just a thought.

Things seem to have settled down, but I'll consider administering varying levels of pain (Tachy or Miserable Users) if there's another flare up.

;>p

Comment

We would ask user's username & password, and would suggest to password protect access (.htaccess) to forum directory for this IP. Not wide used, but easy enough.

Comment

This is what you want:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69011

Comment

thanks for that, it's going to be very useful

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X