Upgrading the Image Verification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading the Image Verification?

Recently, it seems that a good number of bots have been able to bypass the image verification and spam on my forums. We also have e-mail confirmation turned on. I would like to avoid moderating new accounts, for obvious reasons.

I'm using 3.0.7. Will there be a small update for this issue?

I have not seen any confirmed reports of bots bypassing the image verification system or the email confirmation. Do you have any eviddence that these are bots?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      I have not seen any confirmed reports of bots bypassing the image verification system or the email confirmation. Do you have any eviddence that these are bots?
      Well, I suppose not. I just assumed as much. A few of thier IPs came from the same domain and such. (I could be the next Vanilla Ice with those sick rythmes! Werd!)

There's the chance that someone signed up and launched the bots. But, my forum doesn't really seem a likely target of such things, based on it's activity (or lack there of).

I saw reports a while back on Slashdot that bots were able to bypass image verification (VB was not mentioned, however.). And I figured this was the culmination of that. I didn't mean to imply that VB's security was bad or anything, just concerned that this could cause huge problems for forums.

Comment

This is happening to me too. We have both image and email verification turned on. I suspect it is bots because it is the same MO. They sign up with with seemingly valid names but then in the required fields of the profile they ALL have entries like this lfjad adlfj asd or something like that where it is just a random set of letters. The reason I suspect it is a bot is because of the sheer NUMBER of members who a)fit that profile and b) are spamming our site. ALL of them about for discount pharmacies or discount drugs.

Any help would be greately appreciated. Any advice OTHER than moderate your users (we get over 200 new members a day).

Thanks
        Chris

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X