Has a bot managed to by-pass image verification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has a bot managed to by-pass image verification

I have recently had numerous signups from what seems to be bots. The new users all have exactly the same profile information; their location is set to 1 and their gender set to male. All the users have nicknames such as:
    3lr1spkhjb,
    423lkenim9
    s2y836vkum
    cle98gk65d
    ij3531yrn2

All these users come from the same IP address (and variations of it): 12.10.221.230

Also these members just register and that is it, they dont view any forums afterwards and just sit on the registration page as it were.

Any ideas how i can stop similiar sign ups in the future??

Hi there,

Which version of vBulletin are you using?

Comment

Comment

I don't know how it would be possible for a bot to 'see' the numbers/letters in a .gif file - unless the bot shows it to the person executing the bot and he manually types it in for the bot. Perhaps the spammer manually activates all the accounts so the bots can login afterwards.

Comment

There is also another thread that i have read which discuss's the same problem

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130527

Comment

Can you PM me the URL to your forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
              Can you PM me the URL to your forum?
              Done

Comment

Image verification isn't turned on.

I've been on register.php and I don't see an image with numbers/letters to type in.
                That means that anybody can remote fill in the input fields and submit the details, a user, a bot, a script, whatever.

Make sure GD lib is compiled for PHP and turned on for the right version and that image verification is turned on. You can find these settings in the global vbulletin options. For GD lib support contact your hosting provider.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X